Hum problem on new amp only when both phono leads connected

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Forum,

I've just bought a relatively simple amp to learn some basics from.

It's a Class A with a torroidal transformer leading to two DC power supplies inside, a separate left and right channel board with each channels transistor tabs bolted to the left and right heatsinks of the chassis/case.

It produces a (probably 50Hz) hum ONLY when both sets of left right phono leads are plugged into the RCA input terminals on the amp (whether or not they are also plugged into anything else). If either lead is not plugged in, there is no hum.

Before I start grounding everything in sight and cause a short or other such problem, I wondered if someone could talk me through the best way to safely troubleshoot the issue please?

If I try the amp with one channel (or the other), it is working fine.

Many thanks everyone.

If you unplug your sources, either of 'm, does it stop?
sources ON or OFF will have little effect.
It's interference impinging on the interconnects that is generating an interference voltage on the signal return that the amplifiers sees as a signal input. The amp input does not need an audio signal for this condition to exist. It amplifies the small amount of hum interference and you hear/measure it at the amp output.

sources ON or OFF will have little effect.
It's interference impinging on the interconnects that is generating an interference voltage on the signal return that the amplifiers sees as a signal input. The amp input does not need an audio signal for this condition to exist. It amplifies the small amount of hum interference and you hear/measure it at the amp output.

By turning off I was pointing to physically unplugging them. Earth-wire groundloop.

Thank you very much indeed everyone.

AndrewT : I will read that paper later tonight - thanks very much

Bonsai : Thank you very much for the link - my first amp project (I didn't build this one myself) will likely be one of your designs by the way! I really like the look of the Ovation SX-Amplifier.

Last edited:
Thank you very much indeed everyone.

@AndrewT - I will read that paper later tonight - thanks very much

@Bonsai Thank you very much for the link - my first amp project (I didn't build this myself) will likely be one of your designs by the way!
the paper is not the easiest read. I had to read it at least twice before I was sure I understood what he was describing.
I have since gone back at least twice more to update my head with the details.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.