Luxman 5M21

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
carlmart,

quote [have you checked the junction between the FET and the cascode transistors]

no I have not. are we talking about this junction

Attachments

• dml module.png
    dml module.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 181
QUOTE [Yes, that's it. At least you should know if the oscillation comes from the FET. ]

carlmart, Wouldn't oscillation be seen there because of the oscillation being supplied back to the input card via feedback.

Couldn't the oscillation still be occurring downstream from the FET and the oscillation being supplied to the input of the FET from the feedback?

As mentioned the DML modules have been swapped and the oscillation did not follow the DML module.

Last edited:
OK. This is the complete original 5M21 schematic, included parts inside the DML.

The other schematic shows, in red, what cured the first stage oscillation.

You may try it and see if it works for you.

Start with isolating the driver resistors from the NFB and add the 10uF cap. That should be easy to implement, with just one retrofittable track mod.

For lowering the resistors to 4.7, you can just add 10R resistors on the copper side.

Attachments

• Luxman 5M21. faxtory schematic_one channel.jpg
    Luxman 5M21. faxtory schematic_one channel.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Luxman 5M21. faxtory schematic_osc mods.jpg
    Luxman 5M21. faxtory schematic_osc mods.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 201
Finally straightened this amp out. Ended up removing the 2pf capacitor in the feedback circuit. Adjusted the bias, checked channel over entire frequency range with no anomalies noted and buttoned it back up. Just did my first sit down with the amp and am very impressed with it. Very refined sound, stage presence, crisp, lots of headroom. Think i will leave it in the system.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.