Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

how long does it take output capacitors to remember
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2017, 04:09 PM   #1
dischoe is offline dischoe  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default how long does it take output capacitors to remember

I put an extra amp with superones on my TV output for time being. Its on with the main pretty much continuously, its logged about 3 months this way. Leaving it on never bothered me until cap memory got me wondering a little bit. About things like how long would it take patterns to form, does it happen to all output caps or just the cheaper ones, after it occurs how does it effect performance, in what way. And whatever I might be missing out.

Im guessing the amp might only be tapping 1/10th reserves 9/10 of the time unless cranking on some music or a movie.
Old 24th January 2017, 04:44 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Your fingerprints will probably stay there longer than you can remember.
Old 24th January 2017, 06:24 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I have no idea what the OP is talking about. He may be referring to the way that capacitors 'remember' the charge put into them by setting a voltage according to V=Q/C - but I suspect not. He may be referring to the way that an electrolytic will gradually adjust its oxide layer to achieve low leakage current, but only just, with the average applied voltage - but this is not usually called "cap memory". His last sentence makes even less sense than the rest of his post.

Could you try restating your question in normal technical English? Then we might be able to answer it.
Old 24th January 2017, 06:40 PM   #4
vzaichenko is offline vzaichenko  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Dielectric absorption? This is what comes to my mind with regards to "cap memory" words combination...
Old 24th January 2017, 07:22 PM   #5
454Casull is offline 454Casull  Canada
diyAudio Member

Capacitors aren't NiCad or NiMH batteries...
Old 24th January 2017, 07:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I have no idea what the OP is talking about. He may be referring to the way that capacitors 'remember' the charge put into them by setting a voltage according to V=Q/C - but I suspect not. He may be referring to the way that an electrolytic will gradually adjust its oxide layer to achieve low leakage current, but only just, with the average applied voltage - but this is not usually called "cap memory". His last sentence makes even less sense than the rest of his post.

Could you try restating your question in normal technical English? Then we might be able to answer it.

Haha very funny, or I could wish in one hand and crap in the other. By that I mean wait for someone to happen along familiar with that term

But seeing as the replies thus far have not conjugated any warm nice fuzzy feelings I think Ill try a different approach.

I started on a Roksan page, nice, fine, learning is fun. I linked here, then there finding myself inside an article containing that term and a vague description.

But wait, hold the phone. I knew my noggin could be useful, battery memory just bounced off it and now it makes some sense, or no sense BTW your post was helpful.

Battery memory, now that Im more familiar with.

When cells in batteries arent used regularly they become less effective at holding charge.

And how its important to fully charge a new rechargeable batteries in order to quench all the cells. Otherwise the the batteries "memory" will only allow it to charge back up to that point from then on.

Im not sure if any of that applies to capacitors, but that makes some sense to me now, or no sense at all. I went back to track down where I had read it, but came up empty. I was merely repeating what I had read and dont wish to try saying it any other way.
Old 24th January 2017, 07:45 PM   #7
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Bucket brigades, sample and hold circuits and .... grasp !!!! .... dynamic ***memories*** depend on capacitors to ***remember*** so ..... why wouldnīt a single capacitor remember too?

Conceptually itīs the same, isnīt it?
Old 24th January 2017, 07:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Capacitors aren't NiCad or NiMH batteries...
Yes, thank you.
Old 24th January 2017, 07:48 PM   #9
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

None of the above applies to capacitors as they are not made of Nickel Cadmium. Li batteries, like lead acid and Mh have no 'memory', they can take a charge at any point and any time, as will a capacitor.
Leave an electrolytic dead for a number of years and it must be re formed.
Old 24th January 2017, 07:49 PM   #10
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Maybe DF?

//

how long does it take output capacitors to rememberHide this!Advertise here!