Harmon Kardon Citation Twelve Deluxe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently acquired the HK Twelve in poor cosmetic condition. I was told the amp would not power up. Plugged it in, checked a few voltages and everything seemed OK! The "power on bulb" was not working. One of the filter caps had been replaced with a substitute, remaining caps had some indication of leakage. Connected the Amp to my CDP through a preamp and heard music!!! BASIC question - is this amp worth restoring and if so I would greatly apreciate suggestions for improvements. I don't have a high-end system, currently using Pioneer SX-980, NAD-C540, and Thorens TD-150 MKII with Grado Red. I an avid DIYer and will continue to upgrade my system as time and funding permit.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I checked out The Pass website and couldn't find any reference to the HK Twelve upgrade. Was wondering if you had performed the upgrade and if you liked the results. Also, if you could lead me in the right direction to find the information it would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Mr Pass,

Thank you for the URL and for the wealth of information on your sight. I have actually been to your sight several times and have downloaded/printed the full range of articles on the Zen projects. I paln to construct the Pearl phono stage and the Son of Zen. I had also intended to construct the latest version of the Zen amp. That was the plan until I acquired the Citation. I would appreciate your thoughts on whether I should modify the Citation or construct the complementary Zen. I noticed a modified schematic at the end of the Citation mod article. Although this schematic appears a bit more complicated than the complemetary Zen I assume you designed it specifically for the Citation. I am new to audio DIY (although I have constructed several other electronics projects in the past) and I would greatly appreciate your insight and direction on my audio path.

Respectlyfully,

Bob Mount

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I am not sure if you could call Nelson's MOSFET version is an upgrade tot he original citation 12. it probably should be called a "different approach", with the use of mosfet.

I have been toying around with the nelson version for quite sometime now, building the first one many moons ago. and I would say that I like a "complimentory" MoSFET version, with BJT T-driver stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.