Sad news.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yesterday evening the editor of Electronics World e-mailed me reporting the passing of John Laurence Linslay Hood; born 1925.

John was a widely respected designer and listener of amplifers who has left quite a legacy for those of us who continue to construct his designs, like the 10W JLH-69.

Let us all follow in his careful and thoughful footsteps.

Graham.

Hi Graham,
Thanks for informing us.
It's sad to hear of John's demise. His articles helped me along quite a bit during my early learning days.
Lots of our present knowledge is proped up by his numeropus contributions to the subject.
He belongs to an age that is responsible for what we are doing today.
GBHS.

I also learnt my electronics from reading John Linsley Hood's articles and pouring over his circuit diagrams.

His subjective and open minded approach to design has I believe, stood me in good stead. I also notice that others posting here are still employing some of these ideas in their circuits and producing great sounding amplifiers.

It is also worth remembering that John Linsley Hood has left us a legacy of some great sounding amplifiers all of which were designed in his spare time.

He gave us his designs for free and wrote a some excellent books.

A true DIY giant who will me sadly missed but remembered very well.

mike

JLH no more.

In the early 70s we grew up learning about amplifiers from the articles of JLH in the Wireless World. Over the years we have enjoyed his vast knowledge on almost all topics in electronics, specially audio.

I have never found his photograph anywhere, nor was there much written about him. We only knew him from his designs.

By far he has been one designer who has inspired our generation the most. His contribution cannot be paralleled.

He will be dearly missed.

As you say Mike, all done for the love of it in his spare time.
A real Gent.

Photo attached;-

Attachments

• jllh..jpg
    jllh..jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,436
I'm sad to hear one of my greatest inspirators has past away.

I enjoyed his writing so much and often read back his articles (edit. well a few of them at least, since it seems he has written quite a bit) that I now allmost know them word for word ... his books and articles and especially the 10W class A amplifier design have become part of the fundament of my hobby.. I would like to thank him for that.

Greetings to JLH....

Thijs

J.L.Hood

I too will miss him and the articles that he wrote, I read his amplifier articles thourougly. He was one of the few that explained his choices as he described his design, with the result that I learned a lot from him. His designs had a "signature" about them; you could tell it was his design by his use of transistors. The VCO of his FM tuner circuit springs to mind, but there are many more that show his understanding of transistor operation.
Shame that there will be no more.:RIP:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.