12V high power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Be aware of the immense current requirements required by the bulk of those car-amps....in the car environment, the 12V current supply is virtually unlimited. As such, building a home version power supply maybe outside boundries of practicality....a football sized transformer, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------Rick...........

Football size transformers are available in 100 A battery chargers, the older and less electronically controlled the better. Flea markets usually have one.
OTOH the problem with 12v audio is the 2 and 1 ohm speakers, that make sound like a car. while this was all the rage 1990-2010, I hated that sound. Nothing like reality IMHO. Speakers rated in watts capability, not in how flat the frequency response was.
If you want a low power +- 12 v amp to make nice undistorted low volume sound, see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/297453-tips-first-amp-design.html
It is designed to run off a PCAT power supply +-12 feed. 8 ohm speakers are good, 16 ohms are better for something like this.
I listen with my 60 W/ch amp to average 1/4 watt music, but occasional peaks of 180 W can happen in the classical repretoire. At least on LP, CD masters were mostly compressed to cover up the road noise of an automobile. CD is a great media if the marketing department would stay out of the mastering room.
Have fun.

Last edited:
12V Power Amp

Hi all,

I couldn't find such a good & powerful (Transistor based) one without switching power supply that convert 12V to high voltage.

Any recommendation for IC based circuits? (TDA/LA/LM/AN series ICs)

The SMPS I have is from a HP server with 12V 8A capacity.

Regards,
Edison C.

you seem to be completely unaware of the voltage limit on the output imposed by using a 12Vdc supply.

The maximum unclipped output voltage into a high impedance load is roughly 1/3rd of the supply voltage.
That gives your amplifier example a maximum output of ~4Vac.
When you load it with an 8ohms speaker you may find that the maximum voltage has dropped to 3.5Vac.
Power = 3.5Vac² / 8ohms = 1.5W
Use a 4ohms speaker and the max will drop even lower, maybe to 3Vac giving a power output ~ 1.1W

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.