Considering the Threshold 400A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am new to DIY audio, but I've been dabbling in audio for years, although I am not a technician. As my thread title suggests, I am considering acquiring a Threshold 400A. I've read nothing but sparkling reviews. I am currently running a Kenwood 700M into Tannoy 12" Golds. Preamp is an Accuphase C200.

My concern is, whether I should cross the threshold (sorry, pun intended) into 'Class A' territory. I suspect that it would be great in terms of sonics, but what else do I need to consider? I've read that it's advantageous to leave Class A amps powered up all the time. I won't do that. I have little kids, I have electricity bills to pay, I just can't imagine leaving it on all the time. Is it really hard on the amp to treat it like a normal component that you are turning on and off daily?

Also, recapping- how challenging is this on the 400A for someone with average abilities?

Apologies for the newbie questions and thanks in advance for any help or advice. Commentary on the sonics of the not-recapped 400A vs. the 700M, from actual experience is also appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.