Which of these Toroidals?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Most recognized transformer manufacturers supply very similar products and offer several grades, depending on demand. Some will buy their iron cores from the same source too, so only their windings could be different. The best quality then, is not the brand but the manufacturing specification for the product on offer - something that you probably won't discover unless you have yours custom built, as I sometimes need to do.

Really, don't agonise over parts choices, as long as you buy from reputable suppliers and retailers where product quality and reliability is important to their business too.

When asked "which of these toroidals is best", I expect to see model numbers / series, not just a list of manufacturers.

What you want is a split / dual secondary transformer, maybe 200-250 VA, with a shield winding (later connected to center tap), and a core material that doesn't saturate too easily (or if in doubt, more of the same). While low primary R no doubt increases efficiency, it also makes the thing more prone to DC components pushing it towards saturation and causing mechanical vibration, which can be annoying.

Almost none tell us, but I would be looking for double VAC VAC impregnated core and then again for the Primary and finally for the completed secondary.
Does any manufacturer triple VAC VAC their toroids?
Another nice to have would be dual primaries with each primary tapped for 110, 115 & 120 Vac.
This way you get similar performance on all supplies from ~108Vac to 122Vac or from 216Vac to 244Vac and less likely to saturate on top limit supplies when some DC is present.

Last edited:
When asked "which of these toroidals is best", I expect to see model numbers / series, not just a list of manufacturers.

What you want is a split / dual secondary transformer, maybe 200-250 VA, with a shield winding (later connected to center tap), and a core material that doesn't saturate too easily (or if in doubt, more of the same). While low primary R no doubt increases efficiency, it also makes the thing more prone to DC components pushing it towards saturation and causing mechanical vibration, which can be annoying.

Yes, what you say is right, but i meant the best manufacturer.:up:

That is an unanswerable question, unless you fall vor very shallow anecdotic experience or "statistics" with a sample count of 1.

What you are asking can only be answered by an established manufacturer, who has used alternatively all 3 brands for years and then has enough data to compare.

Anybody here at most used one or two of them, once or twice, and could have had a good or bad experience, which one will you trust? I doubt anybody buys at least a dozen a year from each manufacturer.

I checked their web pages (guess you already did) and all 3 look like regular, established Commercial makers, all in Europe so forced to comply to the basic same standards; doubt one is markedly superior to other and even that prices differ by much.

As mentioned by others, it´s possible that any of them offers 2 or 3 quality/price levels, but each band should be roughly equivalent.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
In addition to JMF's wisdom, which I fully agree with, my experience and observation of several European manufacturers and others local and elsewhere too, is that most now import their lowest grade (that is, cheapest) range or at least the cores, from China. The very competitive market makes this necessary and when you can buy for 1/3 the local manufacturer's retail price, you need a very compelling reason to pay so much more for probably no real gain.

It's not an option for manufacturers to source from China if they want stay in business. Just compare the prices of their local and imported ranges. It's no different in the US with Avel Lindberg, Hammond, Antek etc. So again, if you want the best quality, it's down to the grade and mostly, the size of your wallet, not the brand.

I, too, have read "bad" things about AVEL and have been disappointed in the product.

I have to say I was skeptical of the ANTEKs but if as someone mentioned weight is something that is good then the ANTEKs must have something going for them. They are heavier than PLITRONs.

PLITRON's minimum are too too much money so I went with the ANTEKs.

My FIRST WATT SIT1s have ANTEK transformers in them. Never a sound from them. From a fellow who was a PLITRON partisan.

I use them with confidence.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.