Son Of Ampzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im working on reviving a Son of Ampzilla, I have the schematic does anyone have the service manual? I need to know what the bias adjustment is and how to adjust the positive and negative protection trim pots. One other thing, looks like there is q 100mfd 10v added with a resister soldered between it on the board hanging off...........was that a mod or an afterthought......what value is that resister? these are chared and I cant tell. Any help would be great

Bias is set with 30mv across one of the cement emitter resistors, check them all. If you have a distortion analyzer bias can be set with that. There is no official method to setting the VI limiters, none that I can find and that's what I was told by other "experts" of GAS equipment. One method suggested was to run it to clipping into 2 Ohms and adjust for symmetrical limiting. One expert thinks they are not needed in the SON as the voltages are low and there's plenty of output transistor. There shouldn't be anything "hanging" from the boards. I have my SON here in the shop as a the shop system along with a Thalia I, so ask away.

Craig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.