Creek Destiny Amp Standby Problem

Hi all,
I have a Creek Destiny amplifier that has a problem powering up from standby when it is first switched on. When I switch the power on at the switch at the back of the amp, the orange standby light comes on as it is supposed to, but when I try to power up, the light blinks once then goes back to standby. If I leave the amp for about five minutes in standby mode, it will power up OK. I think I have pinpointed the problem to a voltage regulator (1084 adj with heatsink). If the voltage regulator and heatsink are warmed up before it is switched on it will power up first time with no problem. Just wondering if anybody knows if warming up the voltage regulator can alter its output voltage or if there is something else going on that can be causing the problem. Also if anyone has a schematic for the Creek Destiny amplifier, it would be greatly appreciated as the protection circuit makes it difficult to work on.
Many Thanks - Nick

Attachments

• IMG_6069.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I have had 4 capacitors replaced that were visibly damaged on other parts of the circuit board but the problem remained. Do you think it could be one of the SMD capacitors surrounding the voltage regulator? Why do you think warming up the voltage regulator has an affect on the problem ?

I have a Destiny power amp that will not power up. The LED flashes amber for only a second then goes off. If the power switch is switched on again the LED does not flash except if the amp has been off for about 10 minutes. :confused:

I'm thinking of sending it to Creek for repair but if anyone knows what/ where the problem is, I might save myself a bundle!

I just acquired a Creek Destiny and I'm having the same problem where the unit won't power up from standby. I actually got it to turn on once but the controls on the unit (outside of the volume) only worked intermittingly- but once I got it to lock into the right source, it played beautifully and continuously.
Unfortunately, I could only get it to power up from standby once. I tried to get in touch with previous posters, dischoe and Nick, who had previously worked on this issue but have not heard back from them- granted this is a very old thread. I need to make a decision soon on whether to return the unit or not so any help would be immensely appreciated.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This thread is pretty convincing of what the problem is. What would it cost to have a local repairer review this short thread and consider the work which shouldn't take long, assuming it proves to be the only significant fault? Talk it over with your seller, neither of you will want to pay the return freight cost for a lose-lose result.

I just acquired a Creek Destiny and I'm having the same problem where the unit won't power up from standby. I actually got it to turn on once but the controls on the unit (outside of the volume) only worked intermittingly- but once I got it to lock into the right source, it played beautifully and continuously.
Unfortunately, I could only get it to power up from standby once. I tried to get in touch with previous posters, dischoe and Nick, who had previously worked on this issue but have not heard back from them- granted this is a very old thread. I need to make a decision soon on whether to return the unit or not so any help would be immensely appreciated.

Hi Vinh, my issue was caused by a component called a DS1233 processor supervisor which resets the chip. The original one that was fitted was a 5% rating (DS1233-5). This needs to be replaced with one with a 10% rating (DS1233-10) which solved the problem. I think this is the component I bought - DS1233-10+ | Maxim Integrated Voltage Supervisor 3-Pin TO-92, DS1233-10+ | RS Components
I have attached a photo of the DS1233 on the amp circuit board to help you identify it.
Hope this helps
Best Regards - Nick
IMG_6072.jpg.jpg

Hey gghodg, thank you for checking in with me and offering your assistance. I've been bogged down with work and haven't had time to get to it, but at least the parts are on there way to me now. I will definitely post an update and would love to get any tips from you if the repairs don't pan out.

Cheers

Hi Auralocust,
Sure thing and welcome. I should add, I just checked and my working Destiny has the original DS1233-5 IC Supervisor.

The first thing I would check if you can is your Left and Right channel dc offset values- they should be ideally below 10mV. Then check if (C237,C238, and C523, C524 are bulging or leaking. The Destiny was built with caps from the Capacitor Plague . I’ve seen a handful of Destiny’s with some or all of those 4 caps bulging. In my research and experience those bulging capacitors have been the most common cause of issues.

Also, if your amp has a phono stage installed it will not work (will go into fault mode on increasing volume) unless a load (turntable - cartridge) is connected to the phono input. This is by design.

Last edited: