Hafler P3000 rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got one of these for next to nothing and figured worse case I get some parts and a Sherman tank of a case. Took it apart cleaned it up and think it should be 100 percent functional. One channel was lower and thin sounding. I have only done LFet amps before using the exicon transistors. The sink on the hafler looks like 1 set of fets are coupled with copper then isolated from the sink. I put new the aavid mica pads on each transistor and was about to add their thermal grease then noticed things looked different then normal. Am I good to go just adding the pads and thermal grease? Once I get both channels on point I'm going to change out the caps pots and some other odds and ends. I'd like to jump out the "pre" part if possible and imagine that is probably an area that adds to the harsh/aggressive sound some people complain about with this amp. What else would be a way to take some of the edge off?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.