USA supplier of R-core transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anyone aware of an R-core supplier in the USA?

- The only place I found was Custom Magnetics which for a 50va transformer wanted well over a $100.
- Looking for 400VA-600VA for building a First Watt amplifier.
- Anyone interested in starting a group buy from Kitamura Kiden (Japan) or Shilchar Technologies (India)?
- Any possibility of the diyaudio store selling these with enough demand?

r_core_kitamura.jpg

R-Core suppliers I have found.....

I've been pleased with Chinese seller Yuan Jing Audio link 1.

I've also had good luck searching for "R-Core" on eBay and buying from sellers with lots of positive reviews. example search results

This is what I have found so far. And it does look bleak without a Group Buy.

Yuan-Jing option https://www.yuan-jing.com/r-core
The problem with this approach is that Yuan-Jing has limited primary and secondary voltage selections. The Primary is often 220V for larger VA transformers. The secondaries have a very limited selection to choose from.

Ebay
Higher VA ratings are almost entirely 220v primary. Also, quite expensive with unknown quality (Chinese factories love to cost cut). Shipping is a real killer, $200+$100 shipping per transformer = $600 for monoblock amplifiers.

DIYClub.biz DIYCLUB
I assume these are Chinese made but the prices are very reasonable. Sadly only low VA ratings. I read that someone attempted a group buy a few years ago with custom ratings.

Custom Magnetics, USA Manufacturer of Custom Designed Transformers & Coils - North Manchester, Indiana
They get their R-cores from Shilchar, very expensive 50-100VA is $120+. When I asked they acted like talking to me was the hardest thing they did all week. They may have better prices and more welcoming for a larger order.

Selelectronic, France R-CORE pour châssis - Transformateurs - Alimentations, batteries, piles - Sommaire
Their transformers come from Shilchar. The 500VA transformers are $130, 220v only, shipping from Europe is expensive. Not an option, no custom values, a retailer so no group buy pricing.

Kitamura Kiden ???????? R??????
Inventors of the R-Core. Japanese company and very high quality although like everything probably manufactured in China. They do sell their products in the USA but I guess only in group buys. Often seen in some McIntosh products, and similar quality companies. I want one...

Shilchar Shilchar Technologies Ltd.
A step below Kitamura Kiden I guess but very good nonetheless. An Indian company. Supplies R-Cores to several companies around the world.

A comparison of transformer types below. R-core is the best but I read somewhere that using a torroid as a common mode choke can somehow help overcome a toroids flaws with DC. Still I would prefer just an R-Core.

R-core comparison
R-Core.JPG

Toroid vs EI comparison
http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb071998.htm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.