V6 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did understand you very well, Sajti. It's really not an issue with your English :). Instead, I doubt the claim that a carbon resistor has a different tonal character than a metal film one, and if this would be the case, I doubt that the tonal character of carbon resistors would be better, as they are far less precise and reliable.

I know very well that musicians swear on carbon composite resistors in their amps, though.

Best regards!

Instead, I doubt the claim that a carbon resistor has a different tonal character than a metal film one, and if this would be the case, I doubt that the tonal character of carbon resistors would be better, as they are far less precise and reliable.

It has different character. The only difference between my two amplifiers are the resistors. Vishay DALE RN versus Takman REX. I recognize the difference in the first few seconds. The sound of the carbon film version is more vivid, more colored, airy, and the stereo image is better. I showed it to some of my friends, and everybody was able to recognize the difference.
Maybe this sound is not true, but easy to fall in love with it.

Sajti

Have you done double blind tests?

Of course they don't know which amplifier is which, and there was no group listening. Only one of my friend listening one time. I just told them, to listen, and choose, which amplifier is the best. The amplifiers was mixed, so sometimes I started with the carbon film version, sometimes with the metal film version.
I will do some measurement of course, but I have to get better measuring equipments.

Sajti

New protection pcb was tested. The DC sensing part use optocouplers so it gives galvanic isolation between the 2 channels, and the protection psu.

Sajti

Attachments

• vedelem_opto.jpg
    vedelem_opto.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 432
1943/5200 on +-55Vdc supply rails is about as high as you can reliably run those transistors.
You will need to keep them cool !
and don't try 4ohms, nor 6ohms speakers, even 8ohms will stretch them if you plan a party.

I use the spice models of 1943/5200, as there is no spice models are available for Sanken devices, unfortunately. There are 2SC6145/2SA2223 in the real amplifier.

Sajti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.