Sansui AU-11000 Offset Balance Pot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
My balance pot has to be set just off center of the indent to sound right.When I switch the tuner to FM Mono with the Balance pot set to the center indent the sound is off to the left and a slight tweak to the right sets it correctly so that the sound is coming equally from both speakers. Ive cleaned the balance and volume pots thoroughly with DeOxit. Could there be something else causing this? I know it doesnt seem to be much of a problem but after all the work Ive done on this amp its a right pain.

When testing on the bench I turn the volume control full CW and check output levels, if they are the same you know the circuitry and balance control are OK. Now if you have channel imbalance at less than max. volume you know the volume control is mis-tracking.

Craig

Joined 2009
Paid Member
When testing on the bench I turn the volume control full CW and check output levels, if they are the same you know the circuitry and balance control are OK. Now if you have channel imbalance at less than max. volume you know the volume control is mis-tracking.

Craig

How do I go about doing that? I havent got a working oscilloscope at the moment,are the speakers connected/dis-connected, do I use dummy loads?

Joined 2011
with the Balance pot set to the center indent the sound is off to the left
and a slight tweak to the right sets it correctly

This unit has a level-set 3 position switch just before the volume control.
There's a chance that there's a problem with the switch, or the resistors connected to it.
Clean the switch contacts. Try checking the balance with that switch set to each of the 3 positions.
Odds are it's the volume control, though.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
How do I go about doing that? I havent got a working oscilloscope at the moment,
are the speakers connected/dis-connected, do I use dummy loads?

Do you have a signal generator? Use a low level signal (-30dB re 1V) into both line inputs.
Or, use a 30dB attenuator made from two resistors.
Be careful using your speakers until you get the levels right.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
This unit has a level-set 3 position switch just before the volume control.
There's a chance that there's a problem with the switch, or the resistors connected to it.
Try checking the balance with that switch set to each of the 3 positions.
Odds are it's the volume control, though.

Ive tried switching to all the different positions to see if theres any difference.What about the volume pot itself! What are those big boxes on the back of the pot with wipers inside of them are they a separate set of wipers from the front ones?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Normally there are two identical sections, can you post a photo?

I found this image of the big box on the internet. From what I can gather its the volume section at the back, the front part thats missing here is a normal looking dual pot thats used for muteing,at least thats what I think it does?

Attachments

• Sansui volume pot.jpg
    Sansui volume pot.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 51
I have a Musical Fidelity B1 on the bench right now. With the volume maxed out the channels are dead even but at the 9 o'clock position the right channel is noticeably weaker, bad pot. tracking. There is no balance control on this unit.

So if everything else checks out it has to be the control itself, not unusual. Finding a new control that fits will be the headache.

Craig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.