So Frustrating.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2016, 06:47 PM   #1
scm is offline scm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default So Frustrating....

Never had such a bad ebay experience I sold a nice sounding Adcom 555 to a guy that returned it with the right channel no longer working.
Ebay still hit me with the fees`s too but that`s another story.

Anyway..the amp powers up, the 4 fuses inside are all fine and the front protection lights do not come on. There`s absolutely no burnt smells inside infact it just smells like...DUST
I see nothing using a magnifying glass and that`s about as handy as I get when it comes to this stuff.

Left side works..right side is DEAD SILENT even at full volume, it`s like the speaker isn`t even hooked up it`s that dead !!

Are there any members here that live in S Fl ?? Last time I took something in to a guy locally he had it for months and I even had to track him down after he moved and he still didn`t fix it but I had to pay his basic fee
Any thoughts ??
Old 26th July 2016, 07:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
That sucks.
Old 26th July 2016, 07:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you sure you got the same amp back and he hasn't done the favourite e bay scam on you? ie keeping yours and retuning a faulty one . :/
Old 26th July 2016, 07:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
That sucks.
Sure does
Old 26th July 2016, 07:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konzentr8 View Post
Are you sure you got the same amp back and he hasn't done the favourite e bay scam on you? ie keeping yours and retuning a faulty one . :/
It looks like mine. Funny you say that:
I was afraid of parts being taken out of it because right after he bought MINE he asked me if I knew where he could get HIS fixed !
Old 26th July 2016, 07:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, check the serial number on your amp. You might not have received the same back.
Old 26th July 2016, 07:39 PM   #7
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
Yes, check the serial number on your amp. You might not have received the same back.
Or check if the boards have been changed with recent solderings done..
Old 26th July 2016, 08:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Serial numbers check out and it really does look like nothings been tampered with, other than the top cover showed signs of having been off.
He said he looked inside to make sure the fuses were ok.
He said it worked at first then NOTHING out of the right channel.

So I`m thinking something happened in transit somehow.

BTW Here`s something I learned:...
Even if he did switch out the amp or stole parts OR even sent back 30lbs of charcoal..It would come down to his word vs mine and the ONLY way to win in a situation like that is this: "He Has To Admit To It" and THAT folks is a direct quote from the E-Bay rep !!!
Sellers have no protection at all really.

Anyway guys I`m trying to put that behind me and before I sell it again for parts/repair I`d like to try and get it fixed but I wont put much into it at this stage.
Old 26th July 2016, 08:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, sellers get burned on ebay.

I would have tried audiogon or sell it locally on kijiji.
Old 26th July 2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Welcome is offline Welcome  France
diyAudio Member

Man, I don't understand how people dare to sell stuff on Ebay at all. Sure there are crappy sellers, but it seems the opposite is much more true...

Maybe it's worth it for the ABSOLUTELY INSANE prices buyers tend to bid on things... Want way more money than you can reasonably expect from some junk? Sell it on Ebay.

Have an old broken amplifier and want to sell it for more than a functional one? Sell it on Ebay. So yeah, sell your Adcom "as is" and watch the bids roll in. People go absolutely nuts for the idea of a "bargain" on a broken piece of gear, so they overpay by a ridiculous amount. Perhaps they just REALLY want a project to work on.I've seen lots of broken amplifiers sell for way more than fully functioning examples of the same models.

Crazy stuff.

Last edited by Welcome; 26th July 2016 at 08:20 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!