phonos through an XLR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If this is the the wrong place, My apologies. Tell me where and Ill bu££er off!
I am resurecting a 100ft stage cable to run to a mixer. It has 12 Balenced lines (XLR). I only need 10, but I could use a couple of pairs of line level inputs. Would it be ok to take the XLR (which is essentially Neg pos and shield), and use it for Left, Right and a common shield? I could simply make up an adaptor from XLR to twin phonos.
If it is ok, is there a standard?

P.S. I just took the old multiway connector off so that I can solder 12 XLRs on to it. I found that it is a 24 way cable with a common screen around the lot. Is that going to be a problen?

Hello -

I'm not sure if this is actually true, but I once heard that "XLR" stood for "Ground-Left-Right" and that the original intention was to send both channels in one cable.

Since there is only a common shield, you will probably have one minor problem and one major problem. The minor problem is that there will be some level of "crosstalk" between the different lines. I doubt this will bother you, but you should be aware of it. The major problem will be how to hook up the single shield to the pin 1s of 12 separate XLR connectors. This is up to you.

If you are successful, you can go ahead and make adapters from one XLR to 2 RCAs. There is no standard for this, except that pin 1 of the XLR should go to the "shell" of both RCAs.

Good luck,
Charles Hansen

Hi

You will get poor crosstalk performance using a twisted pair such as is found in balanced audio cable for stereo signals. However, my main concern would be the bad signal to noise ratio when sending an unbalanced signal 100ft, even for a line level signal.

I would use those two spare lines in balanced configuration.

Hope this helps,
Tim.

Ground loops!
Talking to a guy at work about breaking out my 24 way cable with a common braided shield. Since I am going out to 12 balanced XLRs they all need a shield. Obviously the thing is to link the individual shields to the main shield. He comes out with; "make sure you link them to the same point. otherwise the difference in position causes a voltage to develop and you get a ground loop"

trying to get my head around it. Could it be a phantom power thing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.