Cyrus Amplifier 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Good morning,

I m from India, Kindly help me to solve my Cyrus amplifier 2 fault. the fault is when switching off the amplifier after few seconds some kind of discharging noise through both speakers.if you could give me a hint which section i need to check or which component i need to replace ,,,,,kindly help me .

Hi if this is an issue that has only recently become apparent check for bad earth/grounding problems or it could just be the capacitors discharging .

Hello Good morning,

I m from India, Kindly help me to solve my Cyrus amplifier 2 fault. the fault is when switching off the amplifier after few seconds some kind of discharging noise through both speakers.if you could give me a hint which section i need to check or which component i need to replace ,,,,,kindly help me .

Hi if this is an issue that has only recently become apparent check for bad earth/grounding problems or it could just be the capacitors discharging .

Thank you for your kind support...when i checked the voltages in speaker output of both channels ...when switch on condition 0 and immediate switch off reading to .012 and decreasing to 0

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Switch on and switch off noises are (unfortunately) common in many commercial products that tried to save costs by not including a fast acting speaker relay to both delay connecting the speaker at power on, and disconnecting at power off.

In other words it may be normal for this amplifier.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The only thing I can think of is that it could be capacitor related. In an effort to minimise these kinds of noises, some amplifiers have fairly precarious (critical) time constants in their power supplies and those can change as caps age and dry out. To investigate that theory further would require more detailed testing of the amplifier.

The only thing I can think of is that it could be capacitor related. In an effort to minimize these kinds of noises, some amplifiers have fairly precarious (critical) time constants in their power supplies and those can change as caps age and dry out. To investigate that theory further would require more detailed testing of the amplifier.

I have changed the main 2nos power supply capacitors 22mfd and few 22mfd, 470mfd in preamp power supply stage also the regulator IC's.....etc still same problem ...except this noise the amplifier is working fine ...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've no magic fix I'm afraid. If its not a common issue that is well known and reported then it means starting from zero and examining and testing the circuit.

All I would say is that if all the regulated supplies are correct (so no failed regulators) then electrolytic caps have to be the first suspects. No other parts deteriorate and age in the way this type of cap does.

If the problem is on both channels then that points to a power supply issue, again likely to be caps.

Bit of a long shot but check the power lead connections both at the amp and plug ends plus the plug wiring and the wall socket and or any multiway connectors in use but to be honest i'm with Mooly in that it's the main caps showing their age . I had a cyrus way back in 1992 or thereabouts so if yours is still running the originals its done well. Also check for minute cracks in the board or split solder joints where the rca 's and banana plugs connect , thats a big design fault constant unplugging and reconnecting really stresses the joints due to the upward facing layout and from memory i don't think that amp had any on/off soft start relays .

My Cyrus 2 / PSX was serviced by Cyrus (PSX caps done by myself) and 2 1/2 years later...... ZZZzzzzzzip!
Dead at every level upon power-up one day, this included the tweeters of a pair of Tannoy DC's.

I concluded that old amps are like old people - you can patch them up but old and past it is old and past it.

These amps do not have relay switched speaker outs and every Cyrus 1 & 2 I've heard have turn on / off 'thump'.

I've no magic fix I'm afraid. If its not a common issue that is well known and reported then it means starting from zero and examining and testing the circuit.

All I would say is that if all the regulated supplies are correct (so no failed regulators) then electrolytic caps have to be the first suspects. No other parts deteriorate and age in the way this type of cap does.

If the problem is on both channels then that points to a power supply issue, again likely to be caps.

Sorry to disturb you . i dont want to lose my beloved Cyrus so only i am writing. The main power supply 2x filters changed and in phono power supply stage 470mf ,22mfd and both regulators changed....but still same problem,,

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You're not disturbing me, I just haven't got a definitive answer, that's all :)

I believe the Cyrus amp leaves the preamp section powered all the time and so the problem is unlikely to be there, simply because once on its all under a steady state condition.

Have you replaced C39 and C40 in the power amps ?

Try emailing Cyrus themselves at the following contact address.This should result in one of their engineers at least giiving some idea of the cause rather than you just randomly changing parts and hoping for a fix without a proper diagnosis . If all else fails and you don't want to part with it there is always the option of sending it for a full rebuild by Cyrus it won't be cheap though and to be honest you would be better looking on ebay or similar for a replacement . Having said that anything of that age is likely to have or develop problems sooner or later .Personally in pure sound quality i think the original one model sounded best.
One question ... have you changing your speakers just prior to hearing the noise ?

email for Cyrus support / servlce ..... servlce@cyrusaudio.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.