Rotel RA 1062 sound problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Speakers (B&W 8 Ohm per speaker) just stopped reproducing sound. I plugged in the headphones and the sound came just fine through the headphones. That's why I decided to plug in my second pair of speakers instead of the first one, I thought that the speakers went broken. So I plugged only one of those (bang & olufsen 4-8 Ohm) and I could hear some music coming out of it, but it was extremely silent. I would also like to mention that all of the fuses are intact.
Any thoughts?

Looking at the schematic of the amp, it looks like your output switching relays (or the solder joints around them) are causing the problem. Do you hear the relays click after turn-on? If yes, and the signal goes through to your headphones as you said, that must be it. Check the relays, and either clean or replace them (if not familiar with electronics repair, let a competent person or repair shop doing it).
Good luck!

Attachments

• schem.jpg
    schem.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 159
Further investigating the schematics brings up two more possible causes for the problem:
1: the speaker selector switch, if it has a contact problem it might not engage the speaker relays.
2: the protection circuit might be also faulty itself, in which case the relays do not get their operating voltage.

In both cases the headphone output is still "alive", so you need to check these areas too.

First I'll try to figure it out myself, probably try cleaning it first. One more question: since there are two relays, I suppose that one is for A channel and the other one for B? Neither is giving sound on my amp. Do you still think that I would MAYBE manage get it to work if I clean it (with paper, and spray cleaner, etc.)? I've just started studying electrical engineering, and I must say I have zero practical experience, but I suppose that there's no time like now to start getting some practical knowledge :)

It is highly unlikely that both relays are faulty.... Here is wahat you can try:
Remove the output fuses first. Then get any kind of speaker driver you don't mind to waste (just in case something bad happens), like a 4-5" boombox cheapie, solder two wires on it. On the other end of one wire solder an alligator clip, leave the other just stripped 1" long. Then connect the stripped lead to the negative speaker terminal, and connect the alligator clipped one to the heatsink side of the fuse holder (carefully, not to short anything).
This way there is nothing in the signal's path, so you will see whether it makes music this way (moderate volume!, don't blow your test speaker).
If it plays this way, then you can check the above way, where the signal gets lost, step-by-step.
If still no music on the fuse terminal, well.... THEN I have no idea, sorry.....:(

So, I feel obligated to tell you how stupid I was :) since both speakers sort of stopped working at the same time while the music was playing really loud, I thought right away that the amp was faulty. And since I wired this second speaker, and it didn't work all that well, I was sure it was the amp. But yesterday I decided to give it one more go with this speaker which wasn't playing loud another go. And surprise surprise, it works like a charm! Although, I'm baffled to how the both speakers (B&W DM330i) stopped working almost at the same time. The difference was a couple of seconds, but they didn't just "drop dead", it was rather like they were losing loudness really fast. In the last moments you could still hear the music really silent. But I triple checked now, and both of the speakers are dead.
Another question:
Isn't it highly unlikely that both of them died at the same time? I mean, was it really speakers (I mean I got them for 40€, and I think that they weren't that good to begin with, but still) or the amp could've done something as well? Both channels are working, A and B, all the inputs are all right etc.
I still didn't connect the two working B&O speakers because I fear that they might get busted as well. What do you think? One more thing: the amp is rated A or B 4 Ohm. But these other speakers are rated 4-8 Ohm per speaker. would that be a problem for the Rotel RA-1062?
Thanks for everything :)

Huhh, quite a horror story.....:D
Well, let's see... If both of your speakers died (are you 100% sure they are dead?) at the same time, it means that the amp pumped out some horrendous signal to kill them. Did you hear anything suspicious before they died? Buzz, or hiss or squeak? If it was ultrasonic oscillation you probably didn't hear anything (but then, that should have destroyed the tweeters only...) Probably this signal first killed your speakers, THEN activated the protection in your amp, then when it was gone your amp still worked well as if nothing have happened. Anyhow, something is going on with your amp, so be careful with further experiments. It could be some kind of oscillation, a break on the PCB, lots of things really, I am just guessing, but that's all I can do unfortunately.
Your best bet still is to take it to a qualified repair shop, and let them find out what's ging on before you destroy more hardware with it.
Good luck...

yes they are completely and utterly dead. i even tested the cables with whom the speakers were connected, each sepparately, and it's not the cables. and as i've mentioned, after seeing that the amp was working, i triple checked the broken speakers. no I don't think that there was anything odd before the sound stop. but then again i was little bit drunk at the time :)
yes i suppose i'll bring it to the repair shop since there are so many things that could be wrong.
thanks very much once again and i wish you all the best :)

I actually pulled one speaker mid bass and connected it with wires to a battery and it moved. And I sort of started examining the back of the speaker and found a fuse :) actually both fuses were "cut". I changed both of them and it turns out that one of the DM300i was working and on the other one only the high, the smallest one. So I suppose these two died due to the extreme volume of sound.
Actually the guy at the store smiled so genuinely when I asked him what could be the problem, he said well extreme exertion, and I said, so the music was too loud, and he said yes, and I said, well the neighbors must be glad :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.