Creating a variable wien bridge oscillator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had been trying to build a variable wien bridge oscillator . The schematic is shown below - I wanted to change the frequency by using a pot . But it starts to distort after 12 Khz. Also when i am reducing both the capacitors to 1 nF I find the waveform to be triangular more than sinusoidal. Also if I want to drive 0.5 w 8 ohm ospeaker should i use an op amp or an lm386 ? Also how do i change the frequency with one control pin?

Attachments

• IMG_20160705_120430749.gif
    IMG_20160705_120430749.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 220
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need a faster opamp than a 741 for high frequency use. The Wien bridge has two frequency determining networks and so normally you would use a dual gang pot.

Controlling an oscillator with a single input usually implies a 'voltage controlled oscillator' whose basic waveshape is often triangular. This is then shaped via a diode network to approximate a sine wave.

http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/apps/msp/journal/aug2000/aug_07.pdf

Of course there are oscillators with 1 adjustment element, I designed one also, but not wien bridge. Not this simple or not low distortion.

I had built the oscillator and now I want to drive it using a speaker . So i Had used an emitter follower . BUt somehow the speaker is giving a very reduced voice output. How do i increase the power more. Also can you give the schematic of your oscillator

Attachments

• WIN_20160706_18_00_43_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160706_18_00_43_Pro.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 128
I had built the oscillator and now I want to drive it using a speaker . So i Had used an emitter follower . BUt somehow the speaker is giving a very reduced voice output. How do i increase the power more. Also can you give the schematic of your oscillator

Attached a simple square+triangle+sine generator. The sine is very rough, THD is about 2...5%.

For higher power you can use any power amp IC, or if you like emitter follower, then it should be complementary, with a little higher quiescent current.

Attachments

• Szinusz gen.gif
    Szinusz gen.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 83
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.