2x 8 ohms split into 8 ohm channel on amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to connect 2 speaker drivers that each have an Impedance of 8 ohms into a single 8 ohm channel in an amplifier using a split Speakon connector that connects to both speaker drivers but outputs into a single channel?

Sorry if it's a silly question, just a bit clueless in this area and finding it hard to grasp how ohms works between the driver(s) and amp.

Would it just be better to have 4x drivers that are each 4 ohms and have a 4 channel amp outputting 4x 4 ohm connections?

Joined 2011
Is it possible to connect 2 speaker drivers that each have an Impedance of 8 ohms into a single 8 ohm channel in an amplifier using a split Speakon connector that connects to both speaker drivers but outputs into a single channel?

If your amp can drive a 4 ohm load, the speakers can be in parallel as you mentioned.
Two parallel 8 ohms equals 4 ohms. Which amp and speakers do you have?

Last edited:
I'm planning on powering 4 QTX 15" speaker drivers 250W RMS/500W MAX (902.519UK) using a 4 channel Citronic QP1600 Power Amp, each channel pushing 300W RMS, would this work?

Ideally would of liked to of gone for better drivers but I'm on a tight budget unfortunately :(

Joined 2011
I'm planning on powering 4 QTX 15" speaker drivers 250W RMS/500W MAX (902.519UK)
using a 4 channel Citronic QP1600 Power Amp, each channel pushing 300W RMS, would this work?

The amp can drive as low as 2 ohms on each channel, so you can either parallel two drivers
on each of two channels, or use one driver per channel on 4 channels. Since you have 4 channels,
I'd go that way, to spread out the power dissipation among 4 instead of 2 channels, and also to
reduce distortion.

Last edited:
That makes sense and seems like it would be balanced.

Basically I got 2 solid twin 18 inch cabinets, 105x105x70cm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Im going to remove all the 18 inch wooden front panels and replace each 18 inch panel with a custom built panel that will hold 2x 15" driver, 1 on top of the other with 2 Piezo Horn Tweeters at the top, so each Speaker Cabinet would have 4x 15 inch drivers (Powered by the Citronic QP1600 Power Amp) and also 4x Piezo Horn Tweeters 75W RMS/150W MAX (902.475UK). I wanna run everything on RMS really but what type of configuration would i need for the tweeters? Would the 4 tweeters in each cab require a seperate amp to power them?

NO.
You are putting them in parallel, no matter where you do it, inside the cab or at the cable end, you end up with 4 ohms.
Since you stated 8 ohms without further comments, the answer is no.
Answers speaking of 4 or 16 ohms are just guesses on part of those who write them, but are not answering your question straight.

Sorry if it's a silly question, just a bit clueless in this area and finding it hard to grasp how ohms works between the driver(s) and amp.
2 speakers in parallel halve the impedance.
Now you tell us whether your power amp can drive 4 ohms or not, please read the manual.

Would it just be better to have 4x drivers that are each 4 ohms and have a 4 channel amp outputting 4x 4 ohm connections?
IF you have a different amplifier than what you mentioned, and different speakers, please ask it separately, don´t mix this new different question with the original one, different situation.
I suggest this for your own benefit :)
I suggest you state what amp you are using, its capabilities , and which speakers you have available or plan to purchase, all in a single question.

That said, I´m not sure what you are trying to build with 4 x 15" woofers and piezo tweeters, they do not complement each other at all, you are left with a midrange frequency gap wider than the Niagara Falls.

What´s the intended use?
PA? .... DJ? .... Hi Fi ? .....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.