Gigant 2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Audio!
I did not build this amp.
But from schematic it looks like a good and simple
straight forward design.
I have some doubts regarding the short circuit protection,
unfortunately I cannot see to where the optocoupler is connected.
If it is only used to turn off the relay, then I would expect a certain
risk of damage.
Even worse if you bridge two chanels and a short circuit between both outputs happen while a large input signal is given....

But except this, I would say it is worth trying.

Good luck
Markus

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I build it a few years ago. It worked from the first time. I never bridged it so I can't comment on that.
It's quite a serious project, I have all the info on paper, unfortunately in Dutch.
The protection circuit is very accurate. Sometimes a bit too willing but this can be adjusted.
It works on output DC protection, overcurrent protection, overvoltage protection, input clipping detection, temperature sensing and inrush current limiting.

/Hugo :)

Hi ChocoHolic,

All conections for security are conected to security curcuit. This curcuit than acts for protecting the amp by switching relays etc.
I found that page surfing the internet. I thought if someone will ask to take a look on the shematics I'll just link him to that page.

Regards,

Audio Tech

Hi Audio!
THX for this info.
Netlist states that the protection works very well
and he has build it! So his information might be more
reliable.
My thoughts were the following:
The output stage does not have a dedicated
current limiter. Currents may be limited by emitter
resistors, current amplification of BJTs and rail properties only.
For sound this is typically great, because a additional
current limiter will always influence the signal more
or less. The disadvantage is that without such a current
limiting circuit the possible current are very high.
I typically experienced that the transistors failed before
the relays could turn off....
But I did neither calculate in detail which currents can happen
in this specific gigant 2000, nor checked the SOA of the BJTs.
And there may be there is another current limiting
effect which I do not notice right now.

Cheers
Markus

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Netlist

Audio Tech said:
Did you put him in a 19" rack? How did you arrange the cooling?
It will be great if you have some photos of the amp to share.

There is at least one picture on this forum but I can't find it for now.
It's not build into a case.
I'll see what I can find tomorrow or take some other pictures.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It’s a bit of an odd story and I’ll try to be brief.
When I build the ‘2000 I was rather impressed with the sound, not only because I build it but I did a major upgrade on the speaker system at about the same time.
Before the ‘2000 I listened to a Phase Linear 700 connected to a pair of B&W802 series1.
Only a few days before the ‘2000 was finished I had the opportunity to buy second hand B&W800 Matrix. So the first impression I had with my new speakers was with the ‘700.
A week later or so I finished the ‘2000 and listened for the first time to my completely new system.
At first I noticed much more detail and clarity. And the amp has guts. I ones pushed it to the limit and I must say that it went loud, real loud. Luckily, these ‘800 can have something like 800W per speaker. You should hear Sinead O’Connor’s The Emperor's New Clothes drums… hmmm.
There was however a major lack in the bottom end. The bass was simply not right.
I did blame it on the room, which is very unusual and really not good for sound.
I never bothered and so I continued listening to the ‘2000 until I build the AlephX.
The first listening sessions with my new born amps were simply impressive compared to the Gigant.
All of a sudden everything was there: the sparkling highs, the clarity of the voice and the low bass I could expect from the B&W800’s. Yes, they really can go as deep as 20Hz!
Now, the only conclusion I can draw for the moment is that I must have connected both channels of the Gigant out of phase.
Until now I never reconnected him to compare and really listen if this was actually a mistake.
I will, one of these days because now you guys beat me to it. ;)

One little warning though: It’s not a beginners project. I was very lucky that everything worked well from the first time. I didn’t have to debug one single part of the amp. Second reason could be that I worked almost six months on that project before soldering one component. And third reason could be that it’s my job to solder and assemble things.

I promise to reconnect the beast one of these days (weeks) and let you know.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok, found the time to take some pictures.
All is still wired rather chaotic so bear with me.
The main board on the heatsink, the transistor bank, the big output coil, one channel.

Attachments

• mvc-630f.jpg
    mvc-630f.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 862
Very impressive. Thanks for the pictures. Please post as well your revised listening impressions once you found the error.

Conceptually and soundwise, how far do you see it away from the bigger accuphases ? This is what accuphase publiches in their brochures of the P-370:

Attachments

• p370.jpeg
    p370.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 681
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just reconnected the PSU and wanted to listen a bit but this amp doesn't have an input attenuator. Since I'm too lazy to disconnect my preamp and I always wanted to have such an attenuator for that amp, could someone draw me a simple schematic? Value? How to connect?

Blitz, I never had the opportunity to listen to a big Accuphase.
But I heard lot of good things from them. I guess they are still one of the better amps out there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.