Gigant 2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Netlist

Hi Netlist,

Thanks to share pict of your Gigant 2000. I'd like to know if the heatsinks you used with the fans can take the heat at continuous max. power (500W/channel) on 4 ohms load (PA use). I'd like to use the same type of heatsinks and fans you used and I want to put everything in 19 " case, but I'm afraid that the amp won't be cooled enough. What is your experience?

Thanks for the answer?

Regards,

Audio Tech

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Vary R2? Like this?

Audio Tech,
Two things are important here.
I you really want to use the Gigant for PA, get yourself big heatsinks and heavy blowers. Not the low noise type as this is not important for PA but the ones who blow plenty of air into the amp. Also, as recommended, double the capacitance, 6 x 22.000µF/Channel. It will be expensive but then you will have the full capacity of this rather remarkable amp: 800W/2ohm or 2Kw/4ohm bridged.

Attachments

• atttitan.jpg
    atttitan.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 525
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Had a very small listening session with the ‘2000 and here are the impressions:
I definitely must have connected the speakers in a wrong way in the past.
Since I didn’t bother for now to add an attenuator I connected a cd player directly to the input.
It has a variable output so there I went.
Very deep and detailed bass, the one that you can feel even at very low volumes, beats the AlephX here.
Straight in your face sound, highly dynamic. No aggressive highs, I’d prefer them a bit more pronounced. They never sparkle.
Want me to choose between the ‘2000 and the AlephX? The AlephX produces music, the ‘2000 reproduces sound. I wouldn’t want to miss the smoothness of an Aleph anymore and I’d like to hear a live performance with the ‘2000……

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Another thing I noticed and reminds me of the days I listened to the ‘2000.
I keep on switching between cd’s and different pieces of music with the ‘2000 just to find a track that would satisfy my ears and mind. Strange, I never did this with AlephX. When I insert a cd I usually let it play till the end. Not with the Gigant, not in the past, not now.
Could it be something is wrong? Anyone else has this behavior with his system?

Yup.

1. Try to answer this question while listening: Does each CD sound different ? So, a harsh recording sounds harsh, a soft sounds soft, a three-dimensional etc.so: there is no real signature, the same system is capabe of sounding really bad when the software is like that and it changes its character quiete drastically between the extrems when being truely neutral.

.. when a system is truely working, you don't look for different records which sound best on your system, you simply want to understand what the individual CD is willing to tell you. Which one (Aleph/2000) does this best ? Does the Alpeh sound with all material best because it adds a nice sounding signature which you like ?

2. When you take the most appreciated disk in combination with the 2000, what is your experience with Aleph-X: Which one gives more information including tonal balance, 3d/space etc ? If the 2000 gives you better resolution, but you don't like what you here, the mistake maybe with your CD-PLayer or with the cross-over. What Cd-PLayer do you use ?

Best REgards

straight wire with gain

Try to answer this question while listening: Does each CD sound different ? So, a harsh recording sounds harsh, a soft sounds soft, a three-dimensional etc.so: there is no real signature, the same system is capabe of sounding really bad when the software is like that and it changes its character quiete drastically between the extrems when being truely neutral.

isn't this the way an "honest" amp should behave?

Exactly.

That's my point. If the same amp sound with one recording smooth and warm and with another harsh and thin, the system has diappeared and you are one step further. If that's not the case and one of them does exactly that and the other doesn't, the choices are clear. If bother sound somewhat strange, thet origin of the problem might be somewhere else.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is no better way do describe what I hear when I said the AlephX plays music and the ‘2000 reproduces sound. It does however reproduce it in a very decent manner. Everything is there, loud and clear until I switch to AlephX. Then, a magical world opens, the sound becomes so straightforward, the crispiness of a class AB is gone, let me again call it music. With the ‘2000 I have to force myself to really enjoy while the Aleph makes me jump from my seat from the first time. No matter what music I play.
Of course I paid a lot more attention to wires and connections in the AlephX. I’m sure there’s much room for improvement with the Gigant. Unfortunately I didn’t know this forum when I build the ‘2000. ;)

Sounds like the experience I had when biulding the ONO and the Borbely allfet phono-amp. I built both in parallel to be able to compare. The Borbely even on a Teflon-board ! What can I say ? The Borbely has extremly, extremly resolution. Makes also music. But when you use the Ono, immediately you have music which is very natural, razor-sharp 3D´, violin sounds like wood-instruments should do without losing crispness, you stop thinking about what you could improve next in your system and enjoy the music.

<off topic>

Blitz, do you happen to know where to buy Teflon boards in Germany? I'd like to give it a try. Or did you have them made by a board house?

</off topic>

At the moment, I'm working on an ordinary AB design, although CFB. I also have an Aleph-5, which is my current reference. I have monster speakers with a quite complicated crossover, and my (active XO) AMT-2-way speakers which are a piece of cake to drive, as Nelson put it in another thread.

To say it short, very basic listening tests (with the CFB amp running from a bench PSU + 47mF caps) on both speakers revealed that the resolution of the AB design was better and it had more control. The Aleph has something very special about its sound, but I'm not yet sure which I like more in the long run.

My Aleph was tweaked along the hints in the "Top ten ways to a better Aleph" thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.