Hiraga 30W vs. Le Monstre - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2004, 06:43 PM   #11
wim is offline wim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default transistors for Hiraga le Monstre

JohanH,

I read in your reply that you are going to built another 2 Le Monstres.

I want to build a Le Monstre for a long time, but i can't find some of the transistors, (the one's of the original schematic).

Can you please tell me were to find them? Or are you using substitutes?

I should be greatfull if you can help me with an adress to buy them.
Old 13th March 2004, 08:38 PM   #12
JohanH is offline JohanH  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Wim,

maybe I should have said "rebuild". I was lucky enough to find some Monstres with spare transistors on marktplaats.nl. Having said that, it is still possible to find some of the transistors. Stuut en Bruin had a couple of the original Toshiba 2SD844; of course not anymore . There's a guy in Germany that sells complete kits through ebay (although he's using the SMT version of some of the transistors; he probably sell parts as well.)
I found some of the transistors simply by googling them and mailing the companies that listed them as available.
Be sure to ask if the ones they're selling are the original Toshiba, Hitachi etc. ones

Good luck

PS A friend of mine who has some experience with the Monstre is toying with the idea of building one with current (european) transistors.
I'm sure any input is appreciated.
Old 13th March 2004, 09:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Transistors

Hi Wim & Johan,

I'm not shure, but I think that I have a few in stock.
Not enough for 4 mono's but I think enough for 2 mono's

I'll check for you next week and get back to you with the results.

I've built the Le Monstre two times and then took all the parts out and never built one again. I was in love with the low level details, It sounded like a tube amp with great control over the speakers. After that I built Electrostats and that was the end of my journey with Le Monstre amps.

The PLINIUS SA-102 is comparable with the Monstre 8 Watt Class A! But with more power and control. I've built a Le Monstre with different parts and the sound was allmost the same,and really good. But don't use high speed BJT's like the 2SC2922.
The sound of a Le Monstre is unique, but Plinius is somehow better!

You'll hear from me.

Regards,

Audiofanatic
Old 14th March 2004, 11:28 AM   #14
MikeW is offline MikeW  United States
diyAudio Member

"But don't use high speed BJT's like the 2SC2922."

What is the highest speed that should be used. I have ordered some boards and need to pick the otput BJt's. I have some MJL 1302, 4302, MJ15003, 2n3886 and matching pairs, 2sa1386, and 2sc5200 and matching pairs. Thanks.
Old 14th March 2004, 08:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

hello Mike,

The original output transistors have a Ft of 10 and 15 MHz respectively. To aovoid nasty resonances, and damage to amps and tweeters it is recommended to either check the finished amp with an oscilloscope or avoid HF nasties by using original type transistors.
Rumor has it that even after taking said precautions the nasties may occur.

Please let us know how your amp with 'modern' transistors works.
Many of us are very interested to get the result of the original with modern day components.

Hope this helps.

Johan
Old 14th March 2004, 08:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default BJT !

Hi,

The BJT's I used where MJ15003/4.

BTW, I found the Output BJT's 3x each!
I also have 2 x PCB never used, need to find those though

Gr. Audiofanatic
Old 14th March 2004, 08:49 PM   #17
jazz is offline jazz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Johan,

Ouch this is dangerous ground i'm going to step on but what the heck, here goes..

I think I remember Hiraga went in to component selection in the original articles somewhat and chose tantalum resistors, but that could also be in the article on the le classe i'm not sure. Hence i simply put in tantalums for all the low wattage resistors. I didn't like the result very much. The sound was quite 'thin' and edgy.
I remembered from building allen wright's fvp5 that i didn't like the tants in the cathode or anode circuits very much because they had exactly the same effect. As grid/base/gate resistors they where perfect however with very good dynamics, resolution etc. When i swapped the anode resistors in the tube pre for kiwame the sound became much more fluent but with the same good resolution and dynamics, a more 'friendly' sound. Hence i tried the kiwames for the 'load' resistors of the cascodes and for the feedback resistors. The result in combination with the tants was very neutral and fluent with very good detail and dynamics.

To summarize: Both the kiwame and the tantalums are said to be low noise types and better then metal film and i sort of agree. I use the tants for 'signal resistors' with low current swing and the kiwames for 'load resistors' where higher current swings take place. One can also use riken ohm resistors in stead of the kiwames which i expect to give a warmer sound but i like the neutrality and fluent charachter of the kiwames better.

This is all highly subjective though and just mho. Oh I used the tants for the 2k resistors as well where they are very good.

groeten
Joris
Old 14th March 2004, 08:59 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Joris,

Thanks for the input.

Yes I know this is dangerous and highly subjective. The reason I chose tantalums as one of the options is indeed that Hiraga had them in their catalogue for Monstre parts. Your Post (and the cost-difference (I am dutch too)) makes me want to try the Kiwames first.

Do you know if triodes.nl sells other values thans they list as well?

Johan
Old 14th March 2004, 09:06 PM   #19
jazz is offline jazz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Johan,

On the site it is said that other values can be ordered but i don't know if there's i minimum quantity or something like that. From what i know the guy behind the website runs it because he's a diy'er himself so i don't know if he's willing to stock values that are rarely used. It might take him a while to gather enough orderes to send out for a shipment. Patience is a virtue, they say....

groeten
joris
Old 14th March 2004, 09:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Dang it,

I hate the P-word

Hide this!Advertise here!