Troubleshooting amp repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got an NEC A230E integrated amp that I'm fixing and I'm now stuck. The repair isn't helped by the schematic diagram being very difficult to read. One channel wasn't working. I isolated at least part of the problem to the output transistors on the left channel. The Sanken transistors are no longer made and were difficult to find NOS. However, after a good search, I found some that I believe are genuine and weren't expensive. In the meantime, the amp started blowing the 1A fuse on the transformer primary (240V). Again, this was due to output transistors failing, this time on the right channel. While waiting for the replacement transistors, I changed the reservoir caps in the PS. The originals were pretty far out of spec., so the power rails are now much better. I'll also replace all the electrolytics, once I've isolated the problem. Visually, the components and PCB look good.

I don't want to replace the output transistors until I'm confident that the circuit is good. Neither do I want to go for the replace everything fix, which often works, but doesn't help with diagnosing the original problem.

All 4 output transistors (TR317-320) have been removed. Then I measured and recorded the bias on the following transistors.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

However, what's stumped me is that some of the voltages are floating and are all over the place (indicated by ?).

Any suggestions on getting to the root of the problem?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.