Harman Kardon receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!
I recently bought a clean working HK receiver from the eighties. It is a 385i. It is for a basement rig pushing some small Polk mini monitors from the late seventies.
I don't know if I like it or hate it. The specs are quite optimistic, and it dubs itself as an 'ultrawideband linear phase' receiver.
The power output is fine for 30w/ side. But it does seem lean on FM stereo. Phono stage is quiet and punchy (MM only).
I went ahead and replaced the stock filter caps with Panasonic low noise parts, and cleaned out the selector since it was noisy.
At 36mV per side idle adjustment, as per spec, the little guy puts off some heat. I built a tile shelf around the rcvr to rest my turntable on for this reason.
What do you think? It is a mostly discrete-circuit without IC bricks on the output side. Would a new set of speaker terminals (posts) and some other tweaks make sense or is this just BOTL fodder? :)
Keep in mind, it does sound Ok for what it is.

H/K385i is quite a under rated CFP amp (below).

Those Toshiba 2sa1264/2sc3181 outputs are rated for a 50W amp.
It looks like H/K's small heatsink is the limiting factor here.

OS

Attachments

• hk385i.gif
    hk385i.gif
    113.3 KB · Views: 121
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.