How do I make a speaker crossover to only hear range of human voice? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2016, 09:40 PM   #1
yeto is offline yeto  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How do I make a speaker crossover to only hear range of human voice?

Would it be possible to add to the below circuit so that I could not only filter out the highs but also 60 cycle hum? I only want to hear audio in the range of a human's voice.

Speaker Noise Reduction Circuit Add on VE3VDC

Thank you in advance for any help,
yeto
Old 12th May 2016, 10:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

"google" band pass filter circuits
Old 12th May 2016, 10:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi yeto, The circuit you mentioned is not really optimum for human voice. Also it won't address the 60c/s hum issue.
turk 182 is right.
Generally the voice range is understood to be the band of 300c/s to 3,000c/s so depending on your speaker you can put in high and low pass filters. The easiest is of course first order which means one capacitor and one inductor (coil). But from a cost-effectivness point of view second order would probably be best.
Look up the appropriate values in easy to find cross-over tables. Note that the values change depending on your speaker impedance.

I am guessing that you are new to this area. If so, you might find 10-15 min reading about speaker cross-overs will be productive.
But what you are seeking is quite reasonable and well within the average diyer's skill set.
Hope this is useful.
Cheers, Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Bright; 12th May 2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12th May 2016, 11:59 PM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeto View Post
Would it be possible to add to the below circuit so that I could not only filter out the highs
but also 60 cycle hum? I only want to hear audio in the range of a human's voice.
This could be done much better with an active circuit before the power amplifier.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

"yes" and "no" rayma. I like active filters but it may not solve the hum issue if that is power amp related.
Cheers Jonathan
Old 13th May 2016, 12:21 AM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just add a series capacitor to the circuit to get rid of bass.

rgds, sreten.
Old 13th May 2016, 01:00 AM   #7
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeto View Post
Would it be possible to add to the below circuit so that I could not only filter out the highs but also 60 cycle hum? I only want to hear audio in the range of a human's voice.

Speaker Noise Reduction Circuit Add on VE3VDC

Thank you in advance for any help,
yeto
Let's clear a couple things first, for a better answer.

1) are you a Ham? Is this filter meant to be used with some kind of Ham receiver/SWL/portable Communications?

2) if so, the one shown is very crude, just not to call it useless.
Its poor slope (again an understatement) means it either can not filter noise out, or kills audio intelligibility or both.

As suggested above, you should need a strong voice intelligibility band bandpass filter, which given the 10:1 ratio (3kHz to 300 Hz) is best accomplished by a 300Hz highpass followed by a 3 kHz lowpass; both *at least* 12dB/octave.

In fact doubling that to 24dB octave would be way better.

This can easily and inexpensively accomplished by active filtering, a couple cheap Op Amps and a few extra parts can do, but you need some way to insert it before the power amp.

If your receiver is a closed box and you have no access to its electronics, then some passive filter may be inserted between power amp and speaker, but I guess weight/size/cost/complexity will make it prohibitive.

Besides it, a tunable notch filter or a Parametric Equalizer is often used in Communications situations to tune out annoying heterodyne squeals.
Old 13th May 2016, 06:36 AM   #8
esgigt is offline esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bright View Post
Generally the voice range is understood to be the band of 300c/s to 3,000c/s
Sorry Jonathan, but that's the definition for telephony (limited speech).... The human voice is quite a bit broader than that, especially into the bass area. Some male singers are known for reaching as low as 20 to 30 Hz.... So in general a minimum frequency in the range of 50 Hz will cover most cases.

And the highs? That's a bit harder to describe. The first harmonics usually do not go over 2 or 3 kHz.. rather hard to produce such a tone... So at least 5kHz for the highs I'd guess..

Greetz,
Edwin

Last edited by esgigt; 13th May 2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 13th May 2016, 07:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The OP though, posted a noise reduction scheme for Amateur Radio use and ridding 60Hz hum - Not much work for Basso Profundos there
Old 13th May 2016, 07:25 AM   #10
esgigt is offline esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
The OP though, posted a noise reduction scheme for Amateur Radio use and ridding 60Hz hum - Not much work for Basso Profundos there
In which case one can revert to a more PA approach... approx. 100Hz to 3,5kHz... Sounds better than the telephone bandwidth.

Hide this!Advertise here!