How 2 Repair M&K V2b subwoofer crossover & swap speaker jacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a M&K sub I picked up for basically nothing - It has 2 minor issues I am trying to fix, and hoping to get some insight in how to proceed.

LOWPASS FILTER ISSUES:

The low pass filter has a pot that adjusts the crossover frequency ( 50-125 hz )
1) There is a point around 70 hz where it gets weird and fluttery. I tested with a multimeter and the resistance jumps to 1/infinity around there. I'm assuming the pot is bad.

2) Even when I am crossing over at 50 hz, I can still hear some of a 100hz test tone from the sub. Is this correct?

SPEAKER TERMINALS

The speaker terminals are breaking loose, and I was thinking about upgrading them as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1) Any suggestions how to physically mount new ones in this case?
2) There is a lot going on with these ... resistors? circuit board? What all is happening here? Why aren't these just straight connections?

I know there are some newbie questions here, so feel free to point me to other basic concepts that would be helpful.

Included the album of photos here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hi, hoping to give this a bump and get some input. I went ahead and swapped out the pots - this seems to have resolved the major issue.

However, I'm confused about how the lowpass filter works. When I put the filter down to max ( maximum resistance on the pot ) it only seems to lower the volume - it doesn't seem to really block out the upper freqs, just quiet them down. Is that "working as intended" ? Or should it be a complete block of all the higher freqs?

Would anyone have insight into the other part of my question? what to do with the speaker inputs? I might just leave them as-is, since not sure what to do with them.

And if anyone has a lead on how to go about getting a circuit diagram, would be extra grateful!

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.