Simple discrete Sziklai pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Specs here are:
Simple enough to fab point to point, no ICs what so ever, works with any semiconductor, programmable gain, low 0db input distortion and lots of headroom.

Plots shown are with 7.5dB gain.

The overall personality is of course set with bias pot. You can go for 0.04%thd symmetrical clipping 18v or more PP output, lowest thd for hi-fi, or anything in between.
Typical THD is .01-.02% no global FB. No 5ths observed.

The circuit does not model correctly with any version of Spice unless empirically tweaked.

Test load for plots is 3.3k, simulating a low-z tone stack.

The real beauty of old 60's Sziklai CFP is it is amazingly indifference to semiconductors used. I have mixed Soviet Germanium with modern mosfets etc.

Bruce

which software have you used for the FFT?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 7.11.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 7.11.59 AM.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 7.07.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 7.07.05 AM.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 392
thanks for heads up.
what would be the symptom?
i did not see anything , mv to 10V input.
the thd plots and response are at several different line levels

cheers

The symptom would be a rapid decrease in input impedance. The grid and cathode take on the character of a forward biased diode when the grid is positive in respect to cathode. It may not be noticeable when driven from a very low impedance source such as a signal generator, but, becomes a real issue for a source with a not so insignificant impedance. This also creates a state where the input capacitor will change the average dc bias on the grid, have a look at what is known as blocking distortion in tube amps. The datasheets for most tubes also give a maximum value for the grid resistor for a given bias type, eg. self,fixed,etc. I believe 12au7 is 1meg for self bias and 500k for fixed. Your 2 meg with both grids would constitute a grid leak bias, so you have a combination of all three going on here.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.