Advice needed on dealing with startup output offset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've put mine along with a DC detection circuit right on the speaker binding posts of my amplifiers. They work great.

Attachments

• 2016-04-08 17.22.48.jpg
    2016-04-08 17.22.48.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2016-04-08 17.22.56.jpg
    2016-04-08 17.22.56.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 71
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you keep to single rail and with an AC coupled feed to the headphones then the relay can be driven without the need for a 'floating' gate drive (so no photovoltaic couplers needed).

Relay.JPG

You could also arrange it to shunt the phones. This might be a better idea because the series connection would need a fixed resistor placed to charge the coupling cap (not shown).

Relay2.JPG

Attachments

• SSR Relay.asc
    1.4 KB · Views: 38
I've put mine along with a DC detection circuit right on the speaker binding posts of my amplifiers. They work great.

That looks pretty good! Nice, compact and easy to reproduce for multiple projects. Nice work

If you keep to single rail and with an AC coupled feed to the headphones then the relay can be driven without the need for a 'floating' gate drive (so no photovoltaic couplers needed).

You could also arrange it to shunt the phones. This might be a better idea because the series connection would need a fixed resistor placed to charge the coupling cap (not shown).

That seems like a easy schematic to adapt and indeed a possibly better option as the shunting wouldn't interact with the audio at all. All that is left is a simple timing circuit which has plenty of different possibilities. could even use a ATTiny if i wanted to (I may not be experienced at Audio, but i have done plenty of other kinds of projects.).

I also came across this particular Relay i was wondering if anyone had experience with. The so called "PhotoMOS" AQV series by panasonic. it caught my eye as it is a small 60vac,550ma relay designed for switching signals with decent ratings. i came accross them while looking at their APV mosfet driver series which share the same tech.

Yeah their rds(on) isn't the best (btw, i meant the AQY series...i mistaken a V for a Y), but for simple switching it can be interesting... tough even then a pair of tiny signal fets probably get better performance (even the cheap ones have rds(on) below 1/0.5 ohm). The IRF2907 is probably a bit overkill for my purposes, but the great thing about fets is that no matter how specific your demand is, chances are that there is a perfect fet out there for one's project...just a matter of sifting through large lists and clumsy filters.

Fets are awesome. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.