My new SAE 2600 power amp. Exploded - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2016, 06:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My new SAE 2600 power amp. Exploded

... View As in Exploded View Hahhaah! got ya!.

Just bought it, it was sitting on the doc o the Bay. The seller mentioned that
the amp is powering-up but no sound. I will post later on what i found in there
till now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0999.JPG (621.1 KB, 527 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1002.JPG (599.4 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1004.JPG (653.5 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1006.JPG (652.8 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1005.JPG (636.4 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1001.JPG (641.3 KB, 272 views)
Old 1st April 2016, 08:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I payed a good chunk of money for it but my gut feeling was telling me that it
did not suffer a miserable life. It was in a rack, in a quiet home and had a single owner. There are 2 very small scratches on the handles that will disapear
with a touch of paint brush.
Some corrosion on handle screws, and fan aluminum housing was telling me that it was in a humid (or salty air) as it is from California, so i decided to take
it apart and clean it up. Checked all connectors, and pins for signs of corrosion.
So far, i found one blown fuse on the - side... The protection circuit has been modified, probably for the known PUP, too slow opening of the relays?.
The tech removed 2 pins (the ones closest to the 4 caps).
He added a 10uf 250v cap, a diode and a jumper (red) under the board.
There also is a red wire that enters the board, that's connected to one AC terminal on the rectifier...

I took the covers off the relays, cleaned the contacts (they were very slightly pitted). Did not test the relays coils yet, will do.

One of the BC307B transistors on the main board is acting, i plan on changing all six. (i tested them in circuit with a diode test multimeter).
All of the outputs are original SAE marked 11-0068 and 11-0074 and all test good on the multimeter.

On the pre-driver boards, there is a pair of SAE, one Motorola and one RCA on each, and the driver boards, one channel has 4 RCA's and the other board has 4 SAE,s, all of those in TO-66.
I will order all the caps for it except for the PSU ones for now, recap it and reassemble it and dim bulb test. Will change the 4 trim pots for Bourns too.

I did not check how i'll be able to adjust the 2 pots on the main board tho?.
It doesn't look like it's feasable without major thinking!?.
Here's the protection board picts:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0994.JPG (676.7 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0995.JPG (677.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0996.JPG (655.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0997.JPG (656.7 KB, 110 views)
Old 3rd April 2016, 03:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check out my thread I made for my 2600 to figure out the pot adjustments. I think it was mentioned there. If not I'll dig around and find the forum threads I used to make measurements. The tough one is actually the pot on the output board. I have all that info though somewhere.

I would definitely recommend replacing the big wattage resistors as they probably are a bit worn. Or they might not be that bad of the unit hasn't seen road use. Mine definitely did and all those resistors were fried.

I'll also double check those transistors you mention and get you the replacements I used.

The relay board definitely has the mod to improve the relay. This amp is notorious for quick turn on and very slow turn off.

I'll also upload my BOM from mouser so you can look at the parts I replaced.

Good luck

Last edited by mjstriker5; 3rd April 2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 3rd April 2016, 04:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Double post.

Last edited by mjstriker5; 3rd April 2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 3rd April 2016, 04:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here are some threads I used.

SAE 2600 restoration/recap.....need assistance. | Page 5 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

tarature quiescenza e bias su finale sae 2600

I'll try to figure out the exact process I used as it has been a few months. And I think there is another thread I used that was really helpful but can't recall off hand. I'll see what I can figure out and let you know.
Old 3rd April 2016, 02:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstriker5 View Post
Check out my thread I made for my 2600 to figure out the pot adjustments. I think it was mentioned there. If not I'll dig around and find the forum threads I used to make measurements. The tough one is actually the pot on the output board. I have all that info though somewhere.

I would definitely recommend replacing the big wattage resistors as they probably are a bit worn. Or they might not be that bad of the unit hasn't seen road use. Mine definitely did and all those resistors were fried.

I'll also double check those transistors you mention and get you the replacements I used.

The relay board definitely has the mod to improve the relay. This amp is notorious for quick turn on and very slow turn off.

I'll also upload my BOM from mouser so you can look at the parts I replaced.

Good luck
Those resistors you are talking about are the ones on the driver boards? (the
5 watts ones), or the ceramic ones on the main board?.
As for adjusting the main board trims, i made 2 access holes in the amp's bottom chassis cover. I will use a long plastic screw driver .
I had found the other thread on AK too .
Thanks for your help! very appreciated!.
Old 6th April 2016, 01:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstriker5 View Post
Here are some threads I used.

SAE 2600 restoration/recap.....need assistance. | Page 5 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

tarature quiescenza e bias su finale sae 2600

I'll try to figure out the exact process I used as it has been a few months. And I think there is another thread I used that was really helpful but can't recall off hand. I'll see what I can figure out and let you know.
Hi. Did you have time to check on those things?.I got all of the caps from Digikey today, along with the Bourns and rectifier .
Old 13th July 2016, 01:07 PM   #8
doum is offline doum  France
diyAudio Member

Hello

I'm searching for a SAE 2600 complete service manual.
I dismounted one but I forgot the location of screws and spacers.
I can not find pictures to help me for winding.
Have you got an exploded view or a complete service manual with all parts listing and view?

Best regards
Old 13th July 2016, 05:47 PM   #9
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

In my experience none of the SAE manuals were that complete. I've never seen an exploded view of any SAE amp, just schematics, parts lists, adjustments, views of PCBs and maybe some circuit theory.

Craig
Old 13th July 2016, 07:15 PM   #10
doum is offline doum  France
diyAudio Member

Ok, thank you.

I think I will succeed without, I began by sorting the screws and spacers.

Hide this!Advertise here!