mbl resistors upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear friends
I own mbl gear consist of monoblocs power amps 9007
Pre 6010D
Dac 1611F
As time goes by i understand that hi end meaning design
But ulta hi end meaning design and hi quality parts
I wish to change all my resistors in my equipment by
Non magnetic resistors which i know that by doing so i will
Achieve much better sound.
I know that there are many types of resistors and i don't know
Which type is best for each section.
I have added pictures

That you all for your help

Attachments

• 20160322_224916.jpg
    20160322_224916.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 20160322_224929.jpg
    20160322_224929.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 306
I wish to change all my resistors in my equipment by
Non magnetic resistors which i know that by doing so i will
Achieve much better sound.
You know about resistors.

I know that there are many types of resistors and i don't know
Which type is best for each section.
You don't know about resistors.

As time goes by i understand that hi end meaning design
But ulta hi end meaning design and hi quality parts
I suspect that is where your confusion lies. 'Hi end' can mean good design or just good story. Ultra high end always means good story and expensive parts, which often may be inferior to normal parts.

I don't know what do you mean when you say good
Each are less than 0.50$
A lots of manufacturer don't understand that magnetic
Parts are don't suit to audio
Good you mean like Panasonic Fc ?
I think that in this price tag they could install at least
Panasonic Fm.
All i know that as time goes by mbl getting more and more
Commercial, for example all mbl in the past uses
Mu metal cans for the transformers, now they don't.
In the past they were using rifa PHE200 and now just cheap
China caps.
Good ? What does it means ?
Any way in this tread i am asking for help to know if any one
Did such a change and what was the exact result
In which resistor model was used.
For the small ones i was thinking dale RN60
For the bigger one i really don't know.

RN60? An acquired taste and one which i fail to acquire. The originals are what? Rhoedenstein?

Not sure if any sensible voicing will come out of random resistor/capacitor changes. One should have a pretty good idea what each resistor/capacitor type sounds like and in what direction they would like to change the sound.

Good results may be obtained by just replacing key position resistors: input loading and nfb.

But what is the purpose? Different tonality? More resolution?

I wouldn't say different tonality.
I bought mbl gear since i love it's tonality.
However the goal is to achive greater transparency and more resolution.
I have been playing around with some magnetic and non magnetic parts.
The differences was very noticeable by transparency and sound stage.
Ever more in my monos i have replaced the big caps by epcos screw in caps.
The sound was better than the original. But when i have replaced the screws
From ferro screws (the originals that comes with the epcos) to brass
The sound became even better mainly in the bass/upper bass section
Grand piano sounding like wow bass notes move the air and it's filling the room.
I don't know what is the brand of my resistors today but as i said before
Audio manufacturer do not understand that non magnetic parts is a must in audio products.
So i was thinking to replace the small ones to RN60 but the bigger ones i still don't know.
Ever more regarding to the small resistors how do I know what is the wattage of them?

Last edited:
Thank you all for replying my post
It's amazing to see different answers and different types and brands
Over this question.
Does anyone have tried to use different types in different places
And can tell me the sound diffrances.
Regrding to the big green resistors can anyone tell the wattage and brand
Ever more since i am not electro technician i don't know where the feedback path is located over the pcb.
Regarding to the mpc71 do you think it's wiser to replce them also
Even if they non magnetic. ?
No i don't intend to sell them so i don't worry about value drop
But if i were start my system from 0 now days i was trying to put my hands over accupase 7100 clones

Last edited:
Thank you all for replying my post
It's amazing to see different answers and different types and brands
Over this question.
Does anyone have tried to use different types in different places
Regrding to the big green resistors can anyone tell the wattage and brand
Ever more since i am not electro technician i don't know where the feedback path is located over the pcb.
Regarding to the mpc71 do you think it's wiser to replce them also
Even if they non magnetic. ?
Nobody can predict the changes in sound. BTW what makes you think replacing resistors will change (improve?) the SQ? A lot of people appear to hear changes they want to hear. A kind of placebo-effect so to say.

And since you're not a technician, why tamper with equipment if you don't know what you are doing?

I doubt this will achieve much. Resistors, same as caps may sound dramatically different between brands. Which one is best for you no one else can decide and listening to other people's opinions makes no sense.

Can you not choose a simple circuit or device where you can listen to a selection of resistors and make up your mind? Notoriously revealing spots are the cartridge loading resistors in a phono stage, i/v conversion in a dac, feedback determining resistors in a nfb amp. And of course just anywhere along the direct signal path: both in series and shunt.

This will help a lot, while collecting conflicting opinions from people who have neither your ears, nor your system is pointless - you can just as well take advice from those who hear nothing at all :cool:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Notoriously revealing spots are the cartridge loading resistors in a phono stage, i/v conversion in a dac, feedback determining resistors in a nfb amp. And of course just anywhere along the direct signal path: both in series and shunt.

Ignoring components with obvious flaws of which there are many you are in an area where there is nothing but opinion from sighted tests where oddly the more expensive component chosen after much soul searching and discussion on the internet often sounds better.

Of course you 'believe' so rational argument isn't going to work, but so far there is not a scrap of evidence that resistors have a sound unless their parasitics cause a problem, which sad to say is plain old EE.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If you mean listening to something, turning it off, changing a component, plugging it back in, leaving it the internet specified 'burn in period' then listening again and claiming amazing stuff, no.

most of the component believers don't seem to want to have 2 of anything so they can swap rapidly between the one with resale value and the one rendered worthless by randoglomming of expensive bits.

Well, if two amps using totally different circuits and parts are indistinguishable using ears only, as happens routinely, then the question is answered. Get back to me when someone actually does manage to distinguish, ears-only, the same circuit but using two different non-pathological resistors.

From an audiophile point of view, it is important to use resistors that are more expensive than the originals and have better stories attached to them. After all, the mbl engineers presumably aren't nearly as smart and perceptive as parts-swappers.

No i didn't test resistors in electronic equipment
But in xo a lot, and i do hear difference between resistors.
I do belive or maybe i am wrong and you can fix me
That it's all related to Eddy current effect.
Just think that in resistors that uses like in my case ferromagnetic
End capsules which creating electronic field around it, while audio grade
Resistors uses brass which is non ferromagnetic end capsules
and the electromagnetic field is much weaker.
Does magnetic field leads to noise and distortion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.