mbl resistors upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No i didn't test resistors in electronic equipment
But in xo a lot, and i do hear difference between resistors.
I do belive or maybe i am wrong and you can fix me
That it's all related to Eddy current effect.
Just think that in resistors that uses like in my case ferromagnetic
End capsules which creating electronic field around it, while audio grade
Resistors uses brass which is non ferromagnetic end capsules
and the electromagnetic field is much weaker.
Does magnetic field leads to noise and distortion?
The differences you hear are more likely caused by the differences in component values and the impact of those changes on the entire circuit... ever thought about that?

Noise in modern resistors is usually way below -120db. Even measuring is a challenge... unless you have specialized equipment. The semiconductors contribute more noise...

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
No i didn't test resistors in electronic equipment
But in xo a lot, and i do hear difference between resistors.
I do belive or maybe i am wrong and you can fix me
That it's all related to Eddy current effect.
Just think that in resistors that uses like in my case ferromagnetic
End capsules which creating electronic field around it, while audio grade
Resistors uses brass which is non ferromagnetic end capsules
and the electromagnetic field is much weaker.
Does magnetic field leads to noise and distortion?

so an eddy current in an end cap is causing an audible problem for you? Hope you have moved the crossovers well out of the speakers then. loads of magnetic field there. But if the crossover was laid out with some little consideration you should not have any issues.

note: metal can matter. Zaph|Audio - ZMV5 - MCM / Vifa 5" System shows the effect of a steel screw on an inductor. Of course no true believer would have an iron core inductor in their crossover :p

Well since i have needed very low RDC coils to my woofers i uses Mundorf VL250 for my woofers
Beside of those huge coils all my xo uses huge parts so it took
A lot of volume from my loudspeaker enclosure, than i needed to take the xo out and make an external enclosure also.
I do belive and know by hearing that different metals have different imprint over the sound.
Take for example silver wire, silver emphasis the high frequency, but if you add at least1% of gold
Like Mundorf does, suddenly the high frequency will become more pleasant and not annoying like pure silver.
I do belive that every thing matters, and also belive in pure transmission.
All my focal woofers which came from focal factory uses brass posts and ferromagnetic leads connected
To to the wire of the driver, by replacing all to cardas i got better sound and more full body.
Ever more... I know that if replacing only one resistor in the signal path gives 0.05% improvement which is non hearable , by changing the second one you will not get total improvement of 0.1% since you have made improvement over improvement.. The steps are logarithmic and not linear. Now think about changing 60 resistors...
I believe you all get the idea.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I do belive and know by hearing that different metals have different imprint over the sound.
Take for example silver wire, silver emphasis the high frequency, but if you add at least1% of gold Like Mundorf does, suddenly the high frequency will become more pleasant and not annoying like pure silver.

That you believe we can see. But how do you KNOW? Expectation is a powerful mind control technique.

You seem to believe you can make your amps better by changing things without knowing why the designer chose those parts. It's your amp, but please realise you could royally mess them up.

Mess them up by changing resistor brand by non magnetic ones
I do know that expectations are powerful mind control
But still you can't ignore the fact that most of audiophile claim the same
For example for silver vs silver gold metal imprint
I have a friend in israel who is electronic technician and he makes upgrade equipment
Saying the same about changing resistors to audio grade Resistors in the signal path and
In the feedback music after changing is like looking through glasses after you clean them

And do it right the big green resistors they are ROEDERSTEIN WK5
Which will be replaced by vishay mils MRA05

Very hard to say if this is not just a horizontal move. The only good thing about the MRA05 is they are cheap. I occasionally use them to drop voltage in PS circuits and once the circuit values are settled replace them with Caddock MP930 to substantial sonic improvement.

One has to accept that most resistors are unavoidably colored. At low powers the Z-foils get as neutral and revealing as possible, at least to my ears. At high power there is no equivalent to the z-foils - you just have to choose your favourite poison.

For me this means choosing the least annoying sonically. My first choice would be Shinkoh, followed by Caddock. The Shinkoh are definitely more colored but in a way i find acceptable; the Caddock are neutral but overuse may lead to cold sound. Compared to these the wirewound Mills are a distant third: less resolution and more of a sonic signature, but still way better than Kiwame.

Generally i would try and avoid the use of high power resistors as much as possible and rather use better sounding resistors in parallel/series.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@montana:

I doubt this will achieve much. Resistors, same as caps may sound dramatically different between brands. Which one is best for you no one else can decide and listening to other people's opinions makes no sense.

Can you not choose a simple circuit or device where you can listen to a selection of resistors and make up your mind? Notoriously revealing spots are the cartridge loading resistors in a phono stage, i/v conversion in a dac, feedback determining resistors in a nfb amp. And of course just anywhere along the direct signal path: both in series and shunt.

This will help a lot, while collecting conflicting opinions from people who have neither your ears, nor your system is pointless - you can just as well take advice from those who hear nothing at all

This would also be my suggestion: That you make a setup where you can listen & decide which resistors, capacitors etc. are to your liking. Also, one of the other members mentioned partsconnection & hificollective as sources where you can get various resistors, capacitors etc.

If you decide to go with the Dale RN60 then you might be interested in the RN60E type which has the lowest temperature change - which directly translates to lower (measured) distortion. Also, when doubling the wattage of a resistor the distortion drops by 6 dBs.

One more aspect to consider is that resistors of various sizes may have different inductivity & potentially capacity ... This may change the stability margins of your equipment and possibly introduce self-oscillation. Just mentioning it - not to deter you from what you would like to do ;)

Cheers,

Jesper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.