Get Problem in Building P3A......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!
I am getting in trouble about the P3A amplifier PCB... I have tested the prototype. It is work prefectly. However, when I routed the PCB, it is fault. After the error, I have tested all components, they are work. And also, I traced the PCB. It is also no problem...
Does anyone knows the problem??
Also, Would you mind let me see the PCB layout?
Thank you everyone~~~~

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Angus

The proper PCB layout is the property of Rod Elliot, so even if someone posted it here, we mods would remove it to protect his copyright, sorry.

As for your PCB problem, have you tried building one channel point to point on a peice of perfboard or similar? It is a fairly simple circuit and should work with this method of construction.

Good luck! :)

Thank you for the 3 replies~
First of all, I am sorry for i am asking for the PCB layout for the reference because I don't know it has a copy right. I am so sorry about it~
I have already checked all components, they are work perfectly. Apart from this, I can sure the routing is success. That's mean no wrong track. Also, I have checked all transistor B C E. So... I don't know where is the problem come from...
Now, I am starting to route again...
:confused:

Random rambling thoughts:

Even with pre-manufactures PCBs mysteries such as you describe can occur. I have at hand an example: four identical PCBs with four sets of identical components inserted. Three work perfectly, one does not. Values of all resistors double (no tripple!) checked, polarity of diodes and caps checked, cap values and ESR tested, all transistors test good (Sencore TF46 used). The bad unit has only one thing systematically different - a different type of solder was used. This may be a red herring but after I take care of some urgent home repairs I'm going to totally de-solder the bad unit, toss the old parts and rebuild it with fresh parts and the same type of solder as the others.

I don't know if I've identified the cause and I certainly don't believe in "magic solders" but suspect a difference in melting points may have interacted with my normal soldering habits in some way to produce bad solder joints.

POINT: Not that I think there is something wrong with your soldering, but rather that it is easy to make errors is some aspect that you don't even think to consider. On more than one ocassion, I have fixed mysteries simply by setting aside the problem unit an building a new one from scratch. Notice I said "fixed" not "solved". Sometimes the big AH HA comes sometimes not. A burden of DIY is that we don't have a defined, repeatable process - thus isolating a fault is especially difficult at times.

ADVICE: Check out a few more possibilities and improbabilities and if you are still lost. Set the unit aside, do something unrealted for a couple of days, the build it all over again with new parts (P3A parts don't add up to much). If the problem repeats, you know it is almost certainly inherent in the circuit somehow. If it doesn't repeat and you really want to find the fault - set the two units side by side and compare it lead by lead, value by value.

Hi all~~~

I am using another PCB problem to route the PCB. Thank you for advised me to use Eagle! It is a program that I tried before.

I don't know where is the problem come out. The prototype is work. the PCB doesn't work. You know, I have routed another version of PCB. However, It doesn't work too. I can sure the routing is 100% ok~

Let me explain the problem. When I switch on, the voltage across the two 0R33 ohm resistors is about 1.2mV. Of course it can be increased by turnning the VR. I am using 25 turns' VR. The voltage really can be increased slowly. However, When it is over 3.3mV, the voltage increase suddenly over 200mV. That event force me to switch off the power. I can sure, the VR is work~

Thank you everyone and sorry about my bad english explaination.

I just tested with Speaker, I find some problem, Over heat!!
The MJL21193 and MJL21194 is very hot, over 60C. I don't know where is the problem come out. I checked some points.
1) The voltage across two 0R33 ohm resistors is around 500mV ~ 700mV with 4ohm speaker. If no loading, it is around 5mV
2) The Collector pin voltage of 21193 & 21194 is around -24mV. (my prototype which is normal is around +58mV) If I connected 4 ohm speaker, Collector pin voltage of 21193 is around +300mV, of 21194 is around -300mV.
3) I can sure the VR is setted to 2k ohm.
Thank you for solving my problem.

I have found out some stranges on Q5 Vbe. it is around 0.14V.
At that moment, the voltage across two 0R33 resistors is 700mV.
Do you think this result can help you all for solving my serious problem??
Actually, the voltage across that two resistors is normally under 10mV when disconnect input and speaker. no components are heat and that moment. After I connect one, the voltage is increase immediatly. I think the heat come up because of the voltage across the resistors.
What is the problem??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.