Newbie with a Nad 214

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Lstlaure for the very helpful reply and sorry for the late reply!
Its good to know you've done what I'm thinking of doing and have got excellent results!
I'll look into the caps you suggested and see if I can get hold of any as they sound ideal, I was originally thinking of these but they appear to have a lower ripple current. ECEC1JA472CJ | Panasonic 4700μF 63 V Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitor, HA SNAP IN Series 2000h 25 Dia. x 50mm | Panasonic although they are rated at 105 degrees.

Be careful, the Panasonic caps you are suggesting are 25x50, while the original Nichicons are 22x50. I'm not sure that 25x50 will fit on the board. Maybe they will; I never checked this. I limited my search to 22x50 caps.

Be careful, the Panasonic caps you are suggesting are 25x50, while the original Nichicons are 22x50. I'm not sure that 25x50 will fit on the board. Maybe they will; I never checked this. I limited my search to 22x50 caps.

Thanks, In the end I ordered some of the Epcos caps you suggested which were actually slightly cheaper than the Panasonic ones!
Also ordered the other smaller caps for the protection circuit as they were only pence each and a relay!
Should get them later this week so looking forward to fitting them!
Thanks for your help

Had some spare time earlier in week so got the capacitors changed, took me a couple of hours to change them and the relay and adjust the idle currents as it was a fairly fiddly job!
The old main caps took some getting off the board after I'd unsoldered them as they were glued down! I haven't glued down the new ones just soldered them straight to the board, I presume this will be ok?
image.jpeg
Plugged it all back in this morning and am very happy with the results, the bass now has much more power behind it rather than sounding thin as it did before!
Hopefully with the new protection circuit caps and speaker relay it should last a good few more years!
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The glue is required for security in transit and use in locations with significant vibration and movement. The larger the cap, the more stress on the solder connections and this is a recognized safety and warranty issue. In the past, mounting clamps and multiple connecting leads were also used. These are not particularly large caps so if you handle it carefully and keep it level, your amp, should be just fine.
Congrats, good that you have a pleasing result :)

Plugged it all back in this morning and am very happy with the results, the bass now has much more power behind it rather than sounding thin as it did before!
Hopefully with the new protection circuit caps and speaker relay it should last a good few more years!
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice
I'm glad I could help and that you enjoy the results!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.