Nad c-326bee remote control problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2016, 12:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Nad c-326bee remote control problem

Hello
I have a nad C326bee that I was given, no information about it at all. It works perfectly in all functions. I have just bought a remote control for it, an sr-8 that unfortunately does not do any functions at all. I have also tried a remote for a C325bee which also does nothing but its a different remote with fewer functions.
Whats the likelyhood that its the amp circuit its self and what usualy goes wrong and does anyone have any suggestions.
A schematic for the nad C326bee would be most usefull.
Thanks
thyristor44
Old 20th February 2016, 04:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
NAD C326BEE Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine
Have you got the correct remote controller? If you have, is there signal leaving pin 1 of the IR receiver? If the buttons work on the machine, it is unlikely the decoder is at fault. Using a mobile phone camera, look at the output led on the remote controller, it is transmitting?
Old 20th February 2016, 06:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
NAD C326BEE Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine
Have you got the correct remote controller? If you have, is there signal leaving pin 1 of the IR receiver? If the buttons work on the machine, it is unlikely the decoder is at fault. Using a mobile phone camera, look at the output led on the remote controller, it is transmitting?
The remote controller is working, one flash every one sec, and is a nad sr-8, the correct one.
I will look at pin 1 from the receiver with the scope in the morning, its too late tonight. What should I be looking for and do the ir receivers often fail.
Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Remote faults (at the receiving end) are rare. You should see a 5 volt 'data' type of signal a bit like this. You need a good scope to be able to clearly show the data but as long as the signal is present and at 5v or so pk/pk then its going to be fine.

Most problems like this are down to having an incorrect remote.

Capture.JPG
Old 20th February 2016, 06:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Remote faults (at the receiving end) are rare. You should see a 5 volt 'data' type of signal a bit like this. You need a good scope to be able to clearly show the data but as long as the signal is present and at 5v or so pk/pk then its going to be fine.

Attachment 532581
The scope is 60mhz tektronix 2213 so should do.
I am tempted to try now but will wait as unless I am fresh I always knack something.
Old 21st February 2016, 11:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post

Attachment 532581
I cant see any pulses at all on pin 1. Its pulled up to 5v rain by a 10k resistor.
What sort of frequency would the pulses be and should all remote controls give an output, not to control the amp but just give a pulse.
Old 21st February 2016, 11:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Frequency doesn't matter, there should be data when you press the remote controller.
If you can see the IR led flashing on the controller, with your camera when you press a button on the remote controller, the detector is probably faulty. Try a TV remote just to make sure. There should be data from pin 1 of the receiver regardless of remote controller type.
Old 21st February 2016, 12:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Frequency doesn't matter, there should be data when you press the remote controller.
If you can see the IR led flashing on the controller, with your camera when you press a button on the remote controller, the detector is probably faulty. Try a TV remote just to make sure. There should be data from pin 1 of the receiver regardless of remote controller type.
Could you cancel what I have just said please.
There is data coming from the sensor with my sat receiver controller so the sensor does work. The new c326bee controller seems to give no data just a 5ms pulse. I cant see any data on it at all. It does flash in the camera but only every one sec, the sat controller gives almost continuous pulses.
Sorry for the confusion.
Old 21st February 2016, 12:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Pretty much all remotes should give an output from the receiver. The data pulses generated by the remote are superimposed onto a carrier, typically 36 or 38kHz. Ideally the remote receiver should of a matching frequency but generally they all work. There are the exceptions that use something totally different.

If you can't see any output (and it should be clear and obvious) then you need to dangle a new receiver onto the board and see if that fixes things.

Does this work,
Infrared | CPC UK
Old 21st February 2016, 12:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyristor44 View Post
Sorry for the confusion.
No problem

It does sound like a remote problem. There has to be more than a single pulse... there should be something like the 12 bit code I posted yesterday. Usually that code repeats over and over as long as a button is pressed.

Even if the remote were an odd ball type that transmitted just a single packet of data, you should still see more than a single 'empty' pulse.

Has the remote always had batteries fitted i.e. 24/7

If so, take them out and put the remote on a warm/hot radiator for a few hours and then retest (I know ) but it happens. A particular Sony VCR remote used to lockup. If you just removed the batteries it could take a week for the device to loose all residual charge internal in the chip and for it to reset and work correctly. Heat speeded that up many times.

Hide this!Advertise here!