BW CFA simple.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 807
  • THD 20k 100W CFA simple.jpg
    THD 20k 100W CFA simple.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 761
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can you do a loop gain plot? Looks very simple - hopefully you solved Jan’s request for him.

The reason I came here was to find an amp that I can use to excite a psu regulator with DC + AC at the input, as well as DC + AC load current at the output to measure input ripple rejection, output impedance, that sort of thing.
In principle, an audio power amp fits the bill but I want to sweep the frequency to at least a few 100kHz, better to at least a Meg.

Jan

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The reason I came here was to find an amp that I can use to excite a psu regulator with DC + AC at the input, as well as DC + AC load current at the output to measure input ripple rejection, output impedance, that sort of thing.
In principle, an audio power amp fits the bill but I want to sweep the frequency to at least a few 100kHz, better to at least a Meg.

Jan

Understood.

That said, for what you are doing, would a current load (adjustable) in parallel with a pulse generator (also adjustable) do the trick?

If you are driving the PSU UT with a fast rise time pulse train, you will be exciting it to HF because of the harmonic content while the DC load will be shifting the operating point.

Last edited:
We are all talking ppb. Does it matter ?

Or over 200v/uS ? Audio only requires a paltry <20v/uS.
The only reason I go with a 200V/uS CFA is the "fat" gain margin
at 20K , so I can get my (realistic) <20ppm THD 20K.
Not for the slewrate.

Edit - I have ported "greenamp CFA " to a BJT 40W class A. 1-5ppm all the way.
But not too "green". It gets too hot here.

OS

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Understood.

That said, for what you are doing, would a current load (adjustable) in parallel with a pulse generator (also adjustable) do the trick?

If you are driving the PSU UT with a fast rise time pulse train, you will be exciting it to HF because of the harmonic content while the DC load will be shifting the operating point.

Yes, understood. But not as nice and easy to interprete as, say, a frequency sweep.

I was looking at this as well:

https://www.batronix.com/files/ITECH/IT8800.pdf

Specifically the 8812B.

Jan

Last edited: