Nad 3020 - square buttons?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The last model to use the square buttons was the 3020B - around 30 years ago. As yours isn't the first request here, there's certainly a demand for buttons to suit 3020s and many other old but still sought-after products, but it's a tiny market even globally, that would not justify new tooling to make replicas.

I found a similar problem with power switch buttons on Japanese products. They may look similar but all differ by a few mm - enough to make spares unlikely unless you wreck another amplifier or simply put up with odd-looking buttons. For one particular commercial control panel, I made a mould with silicone RTV compound and cast the 30 odd matching buttons required in coloured acrylic resin. That was expensive for the owner of the 20 year old control panel but the only professional looking solution for the custom parts used.

I'd suggest that Ebay would be about the last place to find rare parts like these. You need good turnover of products to maintain a store and catalogue there. On the other hand, wreck parts will be hoarded by collectors who have no interest in parting with them for their nominal value. Sometimes trading parts for mutual benefit is more their style.

Has anyone looked into 3d printing replacement parts?

I don't know anything about Autocad, or 3d printing, but I feel like this is a perfect application. I'm going to look into it myself (I have a 3120 missing 2 buttons and a volume knob), but if anyone has any experience, now's the time to speak up! Alternatively, moulding, and casting from a craft store could provide a cheap solution. My local craft store sells a mould making kit for $17, and a bottle of polyester resin for $12. $30 for 2 buttons is a lot, but this is enough resin to make a lot of them.

Last edited:
I have same problem down here. A 3D file to print one would be awesome, unless somebody has a spare and wants to pop one in the post? Even better would be to CNC some out of wood or metal. I replaced the entire face of a 3020A with a lazer engraved piece of marine ply, looks awesome, just assembled it today and rubbed down with some linseed oil, will post a picture when I get the camera.

Attachments

• GOPR0056.JPG
    GOPR0056.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 236
I found a temporary solution to the missing power button, a 50cent plastic square bar end, used for ends on aluminium bars, at a hardware table at a flea-market, its not ideal, but serves the purpose. Shaved off the plastic burrs with a medical scalpel which I prefer to an xacto craft knife. Then inserting some styrofoam to fasten. Does the trick.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dNGVmW8.jpg

One is original, while others are not. Will help you ALL white's are NOT original
These are for NAD3020. There is a little off from original buttons no more than 1/10mm .
NOT shure about NAD3020i and NAD3020A or any other 3020 varijant .
I owned 2 TwO NAD3020 and they both had same type of button.