Rod Elliot's new Mosfet amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Go build a P68 or P101 :) There is no way that Rod would design an amp that requires you to buy a load of parts and mess about matching them.

You will probably get better results with matched components, but all I can say is that those pro amps I mentioned sounded absolutely superb. Even a Naim owner was well impressed :) SO I would say that it's not essential.

Thanks for pointing out the Reichelt group buy, over there to post now :)

richie00boy said:
Go build a P68 or P101 :) There is no way that Rod would design an amp that requires you to buy a load of parts and mess about matching them.

You will probably get better results with matched components, but all I can say is that those pro amps I mentioned sounded absolutely superb. Even a Naim owner was well impressed :) SO I would say that it's not essential.

Thanks for pointing out the Reichelt group buy, over there to post now :)

http://www.tech-diy.com/LATFET.htm -- shipping via USPS Global Priority or Express Mail at your option.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Shouldn't that be in the Everything Else section

millwood said:
those "lateral" type mosfets are more thermally stable than vertical type mosfets (the irfs for example).

This is true, but they have a much lower transconductance
figure. If you want an IR type Mosfet to look like a lateral,
insert some resistance in series with the Source, and it
will lower the transconductance and decrease the thermal
drift.

As to relative cost, a lot of it has to do with volume. IR is the
largest maker of Mosfets, while the lateral Mosfets are more
on the order of specialty devices.

This is not to say that some people don't prefer laterals. I have
played with them, but I prefer the higher transconductance
IR types and their brethren because I get more gain or less
distortion or both.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.