RFI problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need help.Ive got a Perreaux 9000B power amp and Perreaux SA2 preamp .Ive made up some leads using good quality shielded mic cable using rca's on the pre going to xlr's on the power.I'm getting rfi{AM radio} coming through when there connected together.When I switch the pre on it gets slightly louder.If i unplug the leads on the pre and leave them plugged in on the power the rfi is gone although volume control doesnt increase the noise when there plugged together.Also is it normal to get loud hum if you touch the rca's body when there not plugged into the pre amp only on the power amp.I've gone from active on the rca to pin 3 on the xlr and neutral on rca to pin 2 on xlr and shield only on pin 1.RE Laz

Going from unbalanced to balanced without a transformer, or active circuitry can cause problems. However, I think you've made them worse for yourself by the pins you have chosen. Try this:
pin 2 - inner
pin 3 - outer (shield)
pin 1 - either leave unconnected, or connect to pin 3

Remember to check the pin numbers on the XLR plug; they're not logical:xeye:

Thanks dhaen.I wired the connectors that way because for some reason on the back of the power amp it states that pin 3 is +ve and pin 2is-ve I think Perreaux wired them that way for some reason if i'm not wrong.Do you think I should still drop the shield and/or still wire the the pin1 with pin2.Thanks Laz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.