Marantz SR96 AV Receiver tune up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm not so sure that is old enough to be considered for a general recap, plus modern circuitry tends to be DC coupled and with far less reliance on myriad small value electrolytics used as coupling caps.

A few basic tests would be performed to see if the reservoir caps had 'lost goodness' and also whether the response of the amp was maintained to LF, which if it were not could be a sign of a coupling or feedback cap issue.

I would be surprised if this unit had any such issues tbh.

Unforunately Marantz amplifiers of that age are due for electrolytic replacement, in fact they where 6 years ago. If amp design is equal I expect all Elna's completely out of spec, only large filter cans just 30% lower, others more, and some with huge esr.

edit(Solder joints are almost all bad too)

Last edited:
Oh and the amp is full of coupling electrolytic caps, just check service manual, looks very much like the separate Marantz amplifiers, those had brown Elna's without type printed on sleeve (85 degrees re2's I believe) in most positions and for coupling Elna Silmic and Elna Cerafine's, which in the separate amps are hardly more durable. Bias settings are same for outputstages, temperatures will be same or little higher because closer together, you'll need a lot of time for all the bad solderings and if same Elna's, well measure some, say you found a good one and I won't believe you:D Seriously.

http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2013-01/23/2013011676.pdf

(opens real slow but eventually opens)

irribeo, As I am very very uneducated in elector slang you will have to be tolerant of my ignorance. My guess, these are silicone and ceramic capacitors your speaking of, Elna Silmic and Elna Cerafine's? I haven't used the amp in years and it's still a rock solid performer I have mated it to a Marantz 870 Digital audio processor. it's is all I require, still makes pretty good noise. This inquire was more for educational purposes. Thanks For the manual and info. Dave

Joined 2010
Paid Member
... My guess, these are silicone and ceramic capacitors your speaking of, Elna Silmic and Elna Cerafine's?....
Not far off the truth. Silmic actually refers to the use of silk fibre rather than natural cellulose fibre paper as the porous spacing material between the aluminium foil electrodes rolled up inside the can. Cerafine refers to the addition of powdered ceramic material to the paper, presumably making it more rigid than standard. I was half inclined to believe they used ceramic fibre, an amazing material that substitutes for fibre asbestos but I can't see any specific reference to it.

There is an implication in offering these different materials, that stiffness of the absorbent support material can affect the sound. Perhaps that's true when there are high charge/discharge currents and ripple such as in the power supply. However, I think this also suggests that it's unlikely to have any affect on the tiny signal level currents that flow in coupling applications.

I guess it's all the little intricacies that in the end produce a better end product.
the old receiver has been good to me, I would like to give it a little TLC/(tender loving care) in return. Are these types of components commonly used or is this just a Marantz thing. Less/ David

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.