small signal cfp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I see CFP/Sziklai Pair used in output stages all the time but much less elsewhere. Is there a reason for this?
Perhaps because the CFP is best used as an improved emitter follower.

Output stages want improved emitter followers. Previous stages don't want or need emitter followers nearly as often. However CFPs do find application in bias spreaders / VBE multipliers, where their quadratic current gain is useful in reducing the end-to-end impedance, deltaV/deltaI.

I've tried the cfp in most places in an amp.

In the input stage it always sounded harsh, couldn't get along with it.

In the VAS I had mixed results - once it was OK, the other time it was not nice.

In the output stage I've used it single ended (headphone amp) and push pull (power amp) and liked it a lot, even at low power.

Hi,

You might have seen this Thread about Preamp Buffers that deals to a great extent with CFP structures.
From about #52 on (and #87) the circuit basically reached its final design.
The CFP functions very well also in I/V converter stages as grounded base Input stage.
It keeps the input impedance very low and constant over frequency.
You may also search for user WrenchOne´s threads and posts (#51 e.g)
He used CFPs as gain stages also and his posts are generally a fine read.

jauu
Calvin

Degeneration (feedback) is needed with a current feedback pair. The overall Gm is quite high even for small signal devices in this arrangement. Degeneration should be relative to the particular transistor in question and relative to it's re; linearizing overall GBW and setting a limit to output goss. Playing with the amount of degeneration for a particular situation might yield you interesting results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.