Cambridge Audio P50 mystery - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2004, 12:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Cambridge Audio P50 mystery

Hello there,
I'm new here so apologies if this is a question with an obvious answer- i have searched the archive!

I'm lucky enough to have been given a 1970's cambridge audio p50 amplifier, and have always know it only works in one channel. I would now like to fix it, or get it fixed, but I don't know a) if it's a simple replacement job and b) if it isn't, who can do the job for me.

There is basically no output on one channel, irrespective of the input selected. Maybe there's an output transistor blown but i'm not sure. Any thoughts/recommendations of repairers would be hugely appreciated.

I'm a relatively competent solderer but if it's a tricky job i'd rather leave it to an expert.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I'll try and answer them.

Thanks in advance,
mosschops.
Old 16th February 2004, 02:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I too was given one of these a few years ago. It had a habit of blowing up. I fixed it a few times, then slung it in the bin!
I used to have a schemi but I lost it (sorry!), Cambridge Audio sent it for nothing as i recall. Does it have fuses for the rails? If the output stage is faulty they would surely blow, and you would have no output either channel.
The quality control on those things was terrible (lots of different sub-contractors building the pcb's), mine was quiet in one channel when using the tape input, turned out it had a wrong value resistor which had been in there since it was made!
Have a good look inside for bad connections, as I remember it has a big wiring loom down the middle .
They are nice sounding ampilifers having said all that.
Give us a shout if you get any further or have any more questions.
Old 17th February 2004, 12:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Raymondo,
I'll get the amp ready for some investigative surgery and let you know if that helps!
mosschops.

Hide this!Advertise here!