470uf feedback capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In most typical class AB amplifiers exist a feedback capacitor and a resistor to ground

values are from 100-470 uf depending on the circuit Some also use in this application (in a more or less similar circuit ) bipolar capacitors instead .

Got an amplifier that uses 470uf/6.3v bipolar which is hard to get
will the circuit work the same if i replace with a normal polarized electrolytic ?

Kind regards
Sakis

That's what a lot of amplifiers do, actually. Distortion wise it should be essentially irrelevant if capacitance is oversized that much, but a bipolar is definitely better when it comes to longevity. A standard polar does not like being operated at near zero DC voltage for many years and eventually becomes leaky. Only a bipolar or low-leakage type can take this. You definitely don't want a low ESR type here.

What's the resistor in series? Like I said, capacitance usually is substantially oversized, and if you can get a bipolar of 220µ/10V instead, well, then just use that. If nothing else helps, there's always the option of the "DIY bipolar" (two polars back-to-back). If you must go polar, choose a series with low leakage current and the highest rated voltage that'll fit.

RE: feedback capacitor to ground

My experience is that capacitor should be non-polar. You probably will
not notice a difference in listening, but there will be a significant change
on the test bench. The distortion will be worse with the polarized cap
at higher frequencies at higher power. So, if you are concerned about distortion at max power near 20kHz, use the non-polar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.