Good Dual Opamp >+/-15V suggestion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to modified my Denon A1SE 7.1 channel AV amp.
I find 4 AD1853 DAC, and 8 OPA2134 and 8 LM833 in the digital board. The opamp are measured in +/-15V (total 30V) operation.

I want to use AD8620 but it +/-13V seems cannot meet the voltage requirement.

I want like to ask which opamp is the another best alternatives?
AD8512
AD826
OPA2132
OPA2111

Please suggest. Thanks!

Hmmm I dont know where abouts the 2134's are used in the Denon, but they are one of the best out there anyway. Obviously you can do better, like peranders says the AD8610/20's are v good. I use these for the tweeter leg in my active xover and are very good. OPA627's are also good they do the mid leg in my active. Runs over to mic preamp...... looks at chip in it, aha yes the AD797's are also good. M levinson uses them in their amps. 797's are also meant to be good in I/V stages after the DAC chip in DAC's, if they are stable and do not oscillate that is!

Good luck improving the sound, however 2134's are not bad at all, so any gains you will get mite only be quite small, unless there is something i am missing!:D I use 2134's in my DAC's IV and the bass leg on the old active.

AD8620 really suitable for +/-15V operation?

OPA2134 seems to be a quite good dual opamp from others' comments. I would like to replace the cheap LM833 first.

I would like to know if the excellent AD8620 can really work in exact +/-15V operation? Anyone further has such experience?

What will be the good partner of opamp with OPA2134?
Thanks!

A little advice (was Re: AD8620 really suitable for +/-15V operation?)

The folks who design, build and test the device (Analog Devices) say don't use more than +/- 13V (see the data sheet)!!!

That's pretty clear to me; just don't do it unless you will live with the consequences.

mlloyd1

Alvin said:
.... I would like to know if the excellent AD8620 can really work in exact +/-15V operation? ....

Re: AD8620 really suitable for +/-15V operation?

Alvin said:
OPA2134 seems to be a quite good dual opamp from others' comments. I would like to replace the cheap LM833 first.

I would like to know if the excellent AD8620 can really work in exact +/-15V operation? Anyone further has such experience?

What will be the good partner of opamp with OPA2134?
Thanks!
See my post above!

The maximum rating is 27,6 volts in total so everything above is a risk but if you are prepared to take it, go for it. If you are unsure, just put voltage to the IC when they are not in the circuit and test them for a week or so. If they last a week the will probably last longer also. Don't forget to connect them so they work in linear mode, voltage follower maybe.

LOL that is lazyness to the extreme, although I cant say im not the same. But if peranders has used the 8610/20's at 15v for ages with no problems then I doubt your going to run into problems. He uses them in a headphone amplifier so I would imagine if any nasties happened due to the slightly higher rails they would be apparent when listening.

Remember these are one of AD's top chips, they are spec'd at the highest temperature that AD make I think. The 12v may be when the chip is working very hard and thus heating up a little, so increasing the voltages would produce more heat and thus burn out the chip. But if you are using easy loads then the chip would not heat up as much and therefore you could increase the voltage without any problems with heat. I could be chatting *!#$ and please tell me if I am. But thats one Idea im my head atm.

Cheers Matt

Still not make up my mind :(

This AV amp is not the cheap one....
But AD8620 sound very amazing.... I use them in Philips 963SA!

I think the AD8620 would not burn out, but just wonder if it will degrade its performance.
Another candidate, LM6172, will it be a value one besides AD8620?

Thanks!

Great Topic!

Since I was not very active in the past years my
sample boxes are still showing the types from 15 years ago:xeye:
Standard applications: NE 5534 and 5532
Better stuff: OP27(slow!), OP37(faster), LT1037....

I went through your proposals and decided to try some new
types in future.
For applications which do not require high gains the AD8620
or AD8610 looks perfect !!! :D
If I need high gains then the OPA2132 and OPA2134 look also promising.

Cheers and thanks
Markus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.