RCA leads - what do you recommend as alternative for Chord Cobra 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Looking to get some better quality RCA/phono leads to connect up my Arcam amp and CD player.

A friend of mine demoed his Chord Cobra 3 RCA leads and there was a definite improvement in sound.

However, they are a bit pricey for me at the moment. I understand you get what you pay for and know there are far more expensive leads out there. I just wondered if anyone else had the same or alternative recommendations that will definitely improve the sound but won't break the bank!

Thanks in advance!

A friend of mine demoed his Chord Cobra 3 RCA leads and there was a definite improvement in sound.

I would suggest you're almost certainly imaging any improvement, unless they are compared in double-blind tests any comparison is useless.

Leads for connecting a CD Player to an amp can't really make any difference to the sound, unless they are seriously faulty - it's a VERY non-important application.

Hi,

Nowadays I just buy stuff off e-bay for way less than I could build the equivalent quality cables.

This is silly cheap :
0.5m Pro Audio Metal 2 x RCA Phono Plugs to Plugs Cable Lead Gold 50cm [007269] | eBay
I've used these in friends systems without any issues at all.

And this is very flash, (you'd need two of them) :
PREMIUM 0.5M DIGITAL COAXIAL AUDIO LEAD SPDIF GOLD RCA PHONO METRES CABLE | eBay
Probably far better quality plugs (split pin and locking) than the phono sockets involved.

Shorter is better for cables.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
unklemunkle said:
I understand you get what you pay for and know there are far more expensive leads out there.
When it comes to cables this is only true in the sense that if you pay a lot of money for a good story then you will get a good story. If anything there is a small inverse correlation between interconnect cable cost and electrical quality. Some people are surprised when they swap their expensive cables for a cheap ordinary competent cable and find that the sound quality improves.

sreten said:
Cheap totally budget ordinary cables often supplied with equipment
are definitely inferior to a decent well made cables, but nowadays
the latter are very cheap.
Yes. These days really cheap cables have almost no screen/shield so they are almost an untwisted pair and so wide open to interference. Curiously, some 'audiophile' and DIY cables are deliberately designed to be equally bad. As I said, ordinary "competent" cables are fine.

^ That's not a bad suggestion either.

For some good unbalanced interconnects you really don't need any more than a length of decent 75 ohm coax and reasonable-quality connectors. A few bucks a pop in DIY.

I have actually resorted to buying decent-quality premade composite video cable in the past when I needed a longer run of audio cable. ~60 pF/m is hard to beat. Gives you two cables with yellow plugs, but that's nothing that a bit of tape or some cable ties can't fix.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The obvious flaw in the promotion of "hi-end interconnects" is you are being conned into believing that science is not enough to get audio out of one box and into another one without a lot of nonsense and pseudo-science waffling that you can bet no-one, especially not the cable manufacturer or seller, has any real clue about. They struggle though, to justify charging ₤100 for ₤5 worth of parts and nice packaging to cover the crippling overheads of a flash car, flash suit and the price of a case of collectible wines that snakeoilers also have a penchant for. Perhaps it helps to numb their conscience, if they ever had one.

Take a tip from other posts here. You don't have or need an ultra-high end setup that warrants throwing all your available cash at. All you need is the basics of solid, reliable plated plugs for corrosion-free contact with the sockets on your equipment and make sure they have suitable, well shielded cable, which all cost peanuts. The rest is just simple assembly and marketing.

Local hand-made products may cost the earth and come with a long, unconvincing spiel about the product, the company, the boss's beliefs, the care and attention in manufacture etc. but decent imports don't. I pay very little for what proves to be excellent quality cables without the BS and they just come from AV store distributors ;)

RCA means unbalanced connection.
For best sound quality go for maximum shield conductivity, ie more copper in the shield in order to reduce effects of earth currents between source and load.
IME dielectric types can/do make a difference/signature.
My advice is get hold of some decent RCA plugs and experiment with building your own interconnects using different cables.
The Belden cable http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/89259.pdf suggsted would be a good start.

Dan.

I imported a very few Blue Jeans interconnects.
Very good value and reasonable quality.
I have not dissected them to see how much copper is in there.
For shorter RCA cables it doesn't matter how much copper is in the shield. For longer cables (well more than 3meters/10 feet) it does.

This page describes some good longer bulk cables:

LC-1 Audio Cable Design Notes -- Blue Jeans Cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.