Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Adcom 5300 troubleshoot
Adcom 5300 troubleshoot
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2015, 01:57 AM   #1
asilker is offline asilker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Adcom 5300 troubleshoot

I picked up a 5300 intending to use it as the foundation to my system. Was using an NAD 2150, and while it sounded fine it just didn't have the beef to drive my inefficient speakers (Infinity Reference 5). It's plugged in and working fine. Sounds good, driving the speakers very easily, lots of dynamic. I'm happy with the sound.

However, there are two noise issues I need help on. I've had a lot of guitar and stereo gear pass through my ownership, but power amp building and troubleshooting are new for me. That being said, hopefully these problems are an easy enough intro to this kind of work. Issue 1: When turned on, the amp makes a loud "PUP" sound. Issue 2: with preamp on/up/down/unplugged/different pre/whatever, the 5300 makes a slight "ZZZZZZZ" noise in both tweeters.

So my question is this: What might be the problems here, and how do I test them? I'm ordering an auto-ranging multimeter (my first) tonight

Just assembled an op-amp preamp, so I'm feeling hopeful. Help make me one of you, DIY'ers!
Old 19th October 2015, 09:39 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Check C017 and 117.
The buzz could be a power supply issue, check the main smoothing earthing point.
Old 19th October 2015, 12:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Check C017 and 117.
The buzz could be a power supply issue, check the main smoothing earthing point.

Ok, I'll look there. How do I check that? What am I looking for?
Old 19th October 2015, 12:51 PM   #4
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Poor contacts on a smoothing capacitor. It may be normal noise.
Old 19th October 2015, 01:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok so I should just flow some solder on the contacts and see how that does?
Old 19th October 2015, 06:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Also I opened up the amp to try and locate the capacitors, and I cannot find 017 or 117. I recognize that the 0 and 1 connotations dictate that they'll be on the left and right power pcb's respectively, but I only see capacitors marked up to x12 on each side. Perhaps you meant c 011/111?
Old 20th October 2015, 07:40 AM   #7
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Go to the Hifiengine website, register and download the service manual and rev.1 schematic for free:
Adcom GFA-5300 Manual - Stereo Power Amplifier - HiFi Engine
Browse through and check off the locations of various large objects and get a feel for what is what. Jon could also be referring to the main, 10,000 uF smoothing caps -C202,203 and C206,207 but all caps. associated with the power supply ( there are several examples of paralled caps in there too) could be considered suspects for poor connections.

Last edited by Ian Finch; 20th October 2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: other caps
Old 20th October 2015, 11:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok. I have the service manual.

But what do I DO with these capacitors? Do I just reflow the solder joints?
Old 20th October 2015, 01:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

(Also sorry to double up, but I don't see an "edit" option)

I got a visual on those big Nichicon caps, and they don't appear to be leaking. If I'm soldering one of those leads, is there a chance that the solder iron will form a ground circuit and discharge the cap? Should I be aware of this before I work on things?
Old 21st October 2015, 01:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bump!

I assume that these questions are pretty basic for a lot of members here, so I'm hoping for a quick comment.

My two questions are: 1. Do I just reflow the capacitor connections? 2. Should I be aware of capacitors discharging through my solder iron?

Click the image to open in full size.

Adcom 5300 troubleshootHide this!Advertise here!