Some say that Deoxit can make things harsh - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2015, 03:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Some say that Deoxit can make things harsh

I have heard that using Deoxit on pots can make your preamp sound harsh. Does the gold Deoxit make it better. What is the best method to clean old pots. Are there other products that work better.
Old 9th October 2015, 04:54 AM   #2
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

People say a lot of things . DeoxIt cleans well, Gold makes cleaning a tiny bit easier IME. I don't know of any products that work better but most are just as good and none of them make a preamp sound harsh unless you smash the insides with the can it came in... or my hearing sucks. Good luck .
Old 9th October 2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been in electronics over 60 years now, and that is a new one on me. I'd be interested to hear the rationalization that supports that idea: cleaner contact surfaces in a control make it sound harsh.
Old 9th October 2015, 04:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddymac View Post
I have heard that using Deoxit on pots can make your preamp sound harsh. Does the gold Deoxit make it better. What is the best method to clean old pots. Are there other products that work better.
Sounds a ludicrous idea - personally I prefer WD40 for cleaning pots and switches, it's usually more effective than switch cleaners.

We've been using it professionally at work now for decades.
Old 9th October 2015, 05:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you all! With all the years of your experiences I will take your words as the truth. Many speak with authority, but don't use facts to back it up.
Old 9th October 2015, 05:26 PM   #6
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddymac View Post
Thank you all! With all the years of your experiences I will take your words as the truth.
Many speak with authority, but don't use facts to back it up.
One hint, use a very small amount, then exercise the control, and only if necessary then use a little more.
Old 9th October 2015, 05:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I like the MG Chemicals line, it's a lot cheaper than many and seems to work well
Old 9th October 2015, 05:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Not saying this is what is really happening, just thinking about it some....

I think the dirty pots may cause the high end to be reduced. Then cleaning the pots brings the preamp back to life and the harshness that is normally there can now be heard. Assuming the preamp was harsh to begin with.
Old 9th October 2015, 06:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

deleted

Last edited by Richidoo; 9th October 2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10th October 2015, 01:55 AM   #10
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Freddymac,
The part of a rotary control that goes noisy is the wiper and slip ring. They are both metallic. The carbon, or conductive plastic does not create the noise unless you have DC voltage across the control. Keep in mind that the track (carbon or conductive plastic) needs to be lubricated to protect against wear from the metallic fingers of the wiper. The shaft also requires lubricant. All these cleaners will wash the protective lubricants out and by the time you see the effects it is both too late and a few years down the road. So you apply as little of the cleaner as you need into the center area of the control. Make sure you move the wiper out of the way so you don't bend it. I prefer liquid cleaner applied with a tiny "dripper", or a glass syringe. The cleaners will attack the rubber in normal needles quickly and cause them to swell up.

Rayma's advice is solid.

Hi Mike,
Quote:
I think the dirty pots may cause the high end to be reduced.
That will only happen in special situations - maybe. I can't think of anything that would cause poor contacts to be frequency selective. You would need a low pass filter for this to occur, and cleaning the control would only make it more effective in rolling off the highs. Controls normally fail open.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!