Help With Low Cost Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a load of cheap $1 amplifiers from eBay so if they break they will not break the bank, i have seen pages on bridging amplifiers but how does that exactly work, i would like these to power a couple of sub-woofers. how would i bridge them and how does bridging work?

Bear in mind they might already be bridged (a lot of small and cheap IC's are bridged ones) - and you can't bridge bridged amplifiers.

A quick search of the net reveals that you cannot bridge the outputs to increase the power output BUT according to the manufacturers you can increase the power output by increasing the supply voltage to +9v and lowering the speaker impedance to 3ohm.

Personnally, I would glue a heatsink on the chip before doing this.

Andy

Well, let's not be way too optimistic:

Datasheet http://www.diodes.com/_files/datasheets/PAM8403.pdf says:

1) absolute maximum voltage : 6V
2) recommended not to surpass : 5.5V
3) power at clipping: 2.5W RMS into 4 ohms , per channel
4) each channel is already bridged.

As of the 30W subwoofer, the amp itself starts clipping above 2.5W RMS, so any clipping you hear comes fromm the amp, not the speaker.

That said, it looks like a fun project, will probably get a couple myself and experiment.

Just won't carry it to a car SPL competition ;)

here's the response I got after emailing Diodes:

We would advise NOT to connect the two outputs of PAM8403 in parallel. We recommend two ways to get higher power :

a ) increasing the supply voltage, from 5V to 9V for example---PAM8320 working at 4.5V to 15V is a good candidate for this solution.

b) reduce the loading impedance, from 4Ohm to 3Ohm for example---PAM8406 can drive as low as 2.5Ohm/Ch that make PAM8406 is a good choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.