Interest in matched JFETs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2015, 07:38 AM   #1
FrankD is offline FrankD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Interest in matched JFETs?

Greetings everyone!

I designed a rather extensive JFET tester for my own personal use (After testing a few hundred JFETs to make a single Forssell JFET OpAmp the manual way, I decided I was never doing that again) and was trying to gauge if there was any interest in the DIYAudio community for sets of JFETs. I've been around for years under a different user name.

I'd be willing to spearhead the purchase of MANY JFETs if there were some PNs that were in heavy demand. My tester uses a 24-bit Sigma-Delta ADC with TL072 opamp buffers on each JFET at the measurement test point and an Atmel AVR to spin data out to a PC which records it in a SQL database and makes matching pretty simple.. and as soon as my Alpha-quality boards get in (I was using an Arduino Due with the onboard ADC and relay boards with some really simple single layer PCBs before), I'll be able to test 48+ at a time.

My simpler tester was actually nicer in some regards, I could just flip the socketed TL072 around to test P-channel JFETs and change the input polarity to the board. In the interim I have separate boards for N/P devices. It's been a fun learning experience since the most I've done before was chip amps, and I've had a few failed experiments along the way!

JFET Tester Part 3

JFET Tester Part 4

This isn't an advertisement, just wanting to see if I can do something for the community. I'd also be willing to test quantities of JFETs for DIYAudio members. I have a small stock (300) of J203s that I was going to test and play with, mainly for my JFET Guitar experiments..

Eventually I'd like to build something like The Beast With (well over) a Thousand JFETs as the power stage in a guitar amplifier with some nifty JFET stuff before the power stage.

Feel free to ask questions, recommend JFETs to test (yeah, I know.. 2SK170 and 2SJ74.... would be nice if I could get them in quantity and know they weren't fakes!) for my own use or for your use, or to comment on how bad I am at making PCBs and drilling holes! I'd prefer you ask in the post, but I'm more than happy to answer PMs.
Old 1st October 2015, 02:34 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

What does your jFET tester measure?
What parameters are you "matching"?
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just your standard Idss and Vpp readings at multiple voltages. If there are other parameters I should test I'd love to hear about it! I'm new to the whole discrete thing and how transistors work is still kind of like voodoo to me.
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Maybe you'd want to read Erno Borbely's articles from audioXpress which are archived on Linearsystems website: http://www.linearsystems.com/assets/...%20Bordely.pdf
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

jackinnj, do you mean to look for more parameters to measure or to understand JFETs? I have read that document, or at least pieces of it.. I have it bookmarked
Old 2nd October 2015, 05:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The BF862 shows up in a lot of audio projects, even though it's not specifically an "audio" transistor. The CPH3910 from On Semiconductor is a roughly comparable device on paper though I don't recall ever seeing one in a project. I might fantasize about being able to purchase pairs matched for Idss and Vp - or even narrow bands of Idss - and guaranteed low-frequency noise specs, but in reality I doubt I'd actually buy more than a couple dozen in a lifetime.

Dale
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Just your standard Idss and Vpp readings at multiple voltages. If there are other parameters I should test I'd love to hear about it! I'm new to the whole discrete thing and how transistors work is still kind of like voodoo to me.
matching of multiple Id (they can't all be Idss) and multiple Vp (how do you get multiple Vp from one device?) would be good if your system manages temperature well.

I consider that an LTP style jig with thermal coupling is the only final arbiter for checking a matched pair, when Tj control is not well managed in single device parameter measurement.
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've noticed the parameters vary with supply voltage with the test circuit I'm using, which
is a slight variation of the one on the Fetzer Valve page:

Click the image to open in full size.

Only the current variation has the SPDT switch (which was a relay in previous iterations) replaced with a MOSFET, and the reading is buffered by a JFET input op-amp which is then attenuated with a voltage divider and the ADC taking its readings there (necessary for some of the higher power devices which exceed the 5v logic level + AREF of the uC/ADC). But being a 24 bit ADC, I feel the accuracy will still be high for lower power devices as well.

Temperature will be managed by running air through the case at a controlled inlet temperature, though I could pair up some thermal sensors with the devices and machine sleeves/use a spring/something to couple them tightly mechanically.. that would require another ADC on the board though.

Devices will be 'warmed up' for at least a minute before taking a reading. It would be easy to record the ambient box temperature though, since I do have some extra ADC pins on the uC, but the thermal dissipation curve should be the same for devices of the same type, no? ie Two 2SK170 with 15mA Idss and 1.105v Vp should both have the same Tj with the airflow since ambient is constant.
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

What do you mean they can't all be Idss? Perhaps I'm confused somehow? But I should be reading Vp/Idss. Each DUT is completely isolated from one another, I can just do 16 per board once I get my OSHpark boards in.. and I have enough components to populate 3 N and P channel boards.
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Idss is when Vce = specified value and when Vgs =zero volts and when Tj=25C
That can ONLY happen at one measurement,
Any other current is Id.

Hide this!Advertise here!