SMA connectors -- why not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We can get really nice gold-plated, PTFE insulated phono (RCA) plugs and sockets over here that are properly engineered to make good contacts. I guess you have the equivalent over in the US.

Trouble with SMA (and BNC), is that if you trip over a lead, it doesn't pull out safely!

I bet SMCs ( pin reversed SMAs ) sound better.....:devilr:

No-no... jokes aside...
I agree completely to SMAs or BNCs, you can have gold plated BNCs too.. the only problem I can see is that if we ended up with correctly terminated teflon coax, thus obeying to all professional transmission rules and equations,--- we could end up putting the paraphysicists out of work....:angel:

But Seriously - BNCs should work very well..hand soldering BNCs ande even worse, SMAs can be a real PITA though...
Phono plugs have a more historical reason, I think, the early versions being above all cheap, and easily available, thus setting a standard...
High quality XLRs is another choice, and CAMACs have been seen ( AR)... a locking connector is no drawback , in my opinion....

Oh, and what about potentiometers with gold-plated tracks and small-signal transistors with shielded legs terminated on gold plated BNC connectors? :rolleyes: :dead:

Long life to XLRs, 1/4" jacks and soldered hard-wiring [the cheapest interconnection ever]

reading about all the gilt-edge RCA connectors with their lumpy impedance, why not SMA connectors for high-end audio.

Altough I would agree that there are many better connectors then RCA's I wouldn't select SMA's as those are quite fragile, also most SMA connectors are only specified for a mechanical life of 50- 100 connections/disconnections as they wear very quick.

The characteristic impedance of RCA I wouldn't worry about, in a typical audio interface the source is a voltage generator with very low impedance and the receiver is of high impedance which means that reflections are terminated at source and therefore they are not a problem. Even if the system would be made with 50ohm sending amd receiving impedance any imperfections would have almost no effect as the wave length is so much longer then the cable length thereby minimising impact of reflections.

For better audioconnectors there are many alternatives on the market like XLR, mini XLR aso but RCA is de facto standard so it is difficult to change but it is of course possible.

Regards Hans

tubetvr said:

I wouldn't select SMA's as those are quite fragile, also most SMA connectors are only specified for a mechanical life of 50- 100 connections/disconnections as they wear very quick.

Regards Hans

I have some various RF devices at work(phase shifters, splitters, mixers, etc) that must have been worn out 20 times over according to that spec. I think it is a bit too conservative, but I also agree they are fragile.

I'd like N connectors on an audio amp. In fact, I think I might like heliax cable interconnects also.

I have some various RF devices at work(phase shifters, splitters, mixers, etc) that must have been worn out 20 times over according to that spec. I think it is a bit too conservative, but I also agree they are fragile.

Yes, I said most SMA connectors and then I meant the ones you use for cables, according to manufacturers specifications the mechanical life for these connectors are in the range I wrote.

SMA connectors for LAB equipment are often made of stainless steel or plated with special plating and made for repeated connections but they are much more expensive then ordinary cable connectors.

Regards Hans

Impedance matching at audio frequencies is totally meaningless since the characteristic impedance of a transmission line is frequency dependent.

See link http://home.mira.net/~marcop/ciocahalf.htm

Nothing wrong with SMA connectors, they do their job even at audio frequencies. I would not use them, they are difficult to work with.

RCA connectors can be used at VHF frequencies with good result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.